cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 31 of 49

Re: Do not get BTSport you will be locked into a new 12 month contract

@secondtoughest wrote:
It's only 30 days notice if you get it through Sky though right?

The BT Sport pack is always only 30 days notice for everybody. What we are talking about is that you commit to 12 months BT Broadband when you sign up for the free BT Sport pack. Even if you subsequently cancel the BT Sport pack I think I'm right in saying the new 12 months minimum BT Broadband contract remains in place.

I agree with iniltous.

• If you are paying £12 for the BT Sport pack then nothing will have changed with your broadband contract. 
  • If however you are making use of the free BT Sport pack offer for BT Broadband customers then you have agreed to commit to using BT Broadband for another 12 months.
  • It doesn't matter whether you are receiving the BT Sport pack on a BTTV or Sky box. What matters is whether you made use of the free offer or not.

Note: Virgin customers have a different agreement as BT Sport is resold through Virgin packages.

0 Ratings
devbias
Contributor
Message 32 of 49

Bellboy21 hit he nail on the head.
BT is getting the reputation of a second hand car dealer.
It's the topic of conversation in the pub on a Friday night as many locals work in the large BT call centre at Gemini.
The general consensus of opinion is leave BT when out of contract which I find remarkable as it puts there employment into jeopardy.
0 Ratings
Dorsetty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 49

@ StewM

As BT Sport is total dross, nothing basically but ball sports and BT vision is equally poor, I am frankly surprised BT has the sheer gall to charge anyone anything
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 34 of 49

Dross? No reasoned argument?
0 Ratings
Bellboy21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 49

The title is *Do not GET BT Sport"

I have been paying for this program for 4 months without a live signal.   I have tried the tech line several times with no success - Last week I spent an hour on the phone with some semi trained person.   When I asked to be connected to someone more knowledgable, I was told that I would be contacted within 48 hrs..   I am still waiting.

Also waiting for the contract to expire, but fear that when I signed up, I am tied into 12 months from last August.

At least **bleep** Turpin wore a mask.

DGB

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 36 of 49

Paying for 4 months so presume you are not getting BT Sport 'free' as a BT Broadband customer, so you can cancel without having any early termination charge, you state no live signal so does this mean you have a Black Sky digital box with a valid viewing card and you have given this info to BT...what happens when you go to Sky channel 413,414 or 417. .?, or is it via a BT Vision box or BT Youview box you are expecting to get BT Sport...you state your fear you are tied to a 12 months contract from last August, but if that's the case you are not paying for BT Sport but getting it free by re contracting your broadband for 12 months from last August, as August is more than 4 months ago, did your service work from August to November and hasn't worked from December to March ( the 4 months you mention) ?
0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 49

It might be worth reading the "Distance Selling Regulations" in particular the Ofice of Fair Tradings take on it (link below) I don't know what people were told or how they were told it (I do not have or want sports) but it does look as though you could get out of the contract if BT have not supplied the information correctly.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf

0 Ratings
stephendreay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 49

I stumbled in to this problem today. My 'special deal' broadband and line rental finishes on April 9th but I have a contract until 28th June because I took up the 'free offer' of BT Sport as a broadband user. I am looking at the order confirmation and there is nothing about an extended contract and in fact these are onerous terms as I'll be paying full price for three months if I keep to the contract. BT have no record of the order so I sent them a copy and asked them to point out where it says anything about extending the contract. They couldn't find anything so resorted to 'you must have agreed this during the online process'. Well I didn't and because they are onerous terms they should by law get explicit confirmation. They should have phoned or emailed and got me to confirm. I had the same problem with SKY who do this on a regular basis. BT are not abiding by consumer law and it's bad customer service anyway. Offering BT Sport with one hand and then increasing other charges with the other is just underhanded. My Bill went from £75 to £157 for a quarter becuase of this 'free' offer. Now if that's fair trading then something is wrong

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 39 of 49

This was in the flyer that BT sent out.

"BT Sport is also available on the Sky Digital Satellite Platform or BT TV with Infinity for new and existing broadband customers who sign up for 12 months or have 12 months remaining on their contract; ongoing renewal needed to get discounted BT Sport."

When I phoned to order they told me it would extend my contract.

And on the confirmation at the base there is a link at the bottom which within the T&C says:

1. agree to a new contract for BT Broadband with a minimum term of at least 12 months; or
  2. have at least 12 months remaining on an existing BT Broadband contract; or
  3. have signed up to a special offer allowing for you not to pay the Activation Charge

Did none of these happen for you?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 49

I had just upgraded to Infinity with an 18 months contract when I signed up for BT Sport, so I met the requirement automatically. But I have to say that the 12 months minimum broadband requirement was abundantly clear at the time even though it had no material effect for me.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.