cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Freeview channels IP

@DarrenDev  hope you had a good weekend, are there plans to launch the remaining Freeview channels to IP mode in the future?  I.e Watch and Dave, yesterday? 

It would just give a better user experience than having to watch those through aerial on the TV.  I know I can get those through the App but it's not the same. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Freeview channels IP

I brought this up at an event recently, to ask what the next steps were for Freeview over IP.  The response was that everything at our end is ready - the technology, infrastructure, and capacity, is there now to support every single channel, and they can be brought on board in a matter of hours.

But we've done all we can for now - channels that are missing either didn't want to come on board with us, or we couldn't agree commercial terms with them.

Hopefully, as more users switch across to IP*, broadcasters will realise how valuable our platform can be to them, and will want to join in.

* The popularity of Freeview over IP has been MUCH higher than anticipated. We're really pleased.

Message 3 of 5

@DarrenDev This is positive news, thank you for your detailed responses as usual.  Hopefully UKTV will realise soon as more customers ditch the aerial and get their channels on board. 

Not too fussed about the others, those were the key ones I mentioned.  

Had to try explaining to my granny ( who is staying with me on holiday) why drama wasn't there, she said, but it's Freeview.   Then I had the painful task of demonstrating how to change sources on the TV to get it😂.  We got there in the end 😂.

Message 4 of 5

I thinking that it would have been clearer to rebrand it as say Freestream to make it clear it is *not* the same delivery platform as Freeview over DTT and more in line with the branding of Freesat.
Message 5 of 5

It would’ve been nice to have been notified via email by BT of the availability of the IP channels. I only just found out about them through this forum. Because of the Freeview Light coverage in my area, I will actually be getting a good few extra channels. 

0 Ratings