Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 681 of 1,477

Re: Full Now TV through the YouView box

@Mallett94 

I wouldn't miss the Ultimate channel, and as I record most sport to chase play a little later, I prefer to record the HD channels as any blip in line speed can cause drop outs on Ultimate on the BT T4000. 

Overall I much prefer Q over Youview anyway, so my decision is very easy to make. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 682 of 1,477

I wonder if these changes will propagate down to the TV offering that PlusNet provide. I've had my parents on a PlusNet package for several years now and it is extremely good value.

I must admit that similar to @TIMSPORTSMAN I'm not overly bothered one way or the other about this change to BT TV.

I do understand the people who have say a 'top tier' BT TV package at a decently discounted rate being a bit disappointed. However as it has been pointed out already I think that BT's deals with the specific UKTV channels will be gradually expiring over the coming months and years to the point where even 'Classic Entertainment' is no longer offered.

Unforunately for BT, the thought of having to pay full price for NowTV passes directly via BT in order to be able to record those channels from the EPG doesn't really entice me at all. Especially when 12 month passes can be had for such good prices on say Black Friday. I wonder how strong a pull this recording ability will be for some?

I most certainly would just watch the NowTV content through the NowTV app on the YV box, which hopefully will fully support boost pass, in particular the 50 fps on the select sports channels.

One could sort of make the observation that this NowTV via BT TV service is SkyQ via BB in disguise?!

One thing that would be good is if the new BT YV box supports automatic picture output resolution switching so that the resolution changes to match the source content, allowing my TV to do the deinterlacing & upscaling which will be much superior to the YV box. Also if the new box does support HDR that would be a win for both the Ultimate channel but also Netflix & Prime content. Although to best take advantage of those two providers the box would also need to support auto refresh rate switching to match content frame rate e.g. 23.976 & 24.00 fps.

I will build a bundle on the sky website later that is equivalent to some of these BT TV bundles and see what the difference in price is.

Certainly some interesting analysis to be made.

*EDIT* Just checked the NowTV support pages and the 'What's the highest streaming quality for my device?' page has now been updated to say that Youview boxes fully support Boost Pass perks including Sky Sports ME, PL & F1 in 50 fps. That's gonna be a real plus for my parents seen as they have been accessing NowTV through the LG TV app which doesn't support 50 fps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 683 of 1,477

@welshgit 

Challenge and Pick have always been on NowTV, as well as being carried on Freeview.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 684 of 1,477

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 685 of 1,477

@welshgit 

Good spot. That's an even bigger saving for me 👍

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 686 of 1,477

When you’re out of contract with your old package and want to renew it you can. I know 100%
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 687 of 1,477

As I only watch sky movies and sport and occasionally sky 1 I’ve decided to try the new package. Setup online and activated within a couple of seconds. The box had a software update and the old channels have been removed form the guide. Working fine with now tv on the epg on my 3 uhd boxes we have in the house. All streaming at the same time perfectly well. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 688 of 1,477

@Mallett94wrote:

I wonder if these changes will propagate down to the TV offering that PlusNet provide. I've had my parents on a PlusNet package for several years now and it is extremely good value.

There were a number of reports on the YouView community forum last night that PlusNet YouView boxes (and retail versions), updated to the full NOW TV app the same as BT boxes. No channels in the EPG though as can be expected.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 689 of 1,477

@robotman1wrote:

@welshgit 

Good spot. That's an even bigger saving for me 👍

NOW TV have had deals on all week for Entertainment, Cinema and Sports passes, plus it won't be long until the F1 season pass is offered as well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 690 of 1,477

When I checked the Updated app there was no option to buy Now TV Boost perks. If the app does support Boost then the only way to buy it appears to be via a separate browser login.
0 Ratings