Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 911 of 1,477

Re: Full Now TV through the YouView box

@edsib1 

Yep, I see it.

Crumbs, that's a massive discount.

And it's just am 18 month contract!

This is clearly SKY looking to pick up BT customers as a result of the new packages.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 912 of 1,477

@edsib1Not everyone can have/wants a dish (or lives in a cable area) would be one and without Sky X being launched in the UK the options of having full HD Sky Sports that's recordable are limited.

@4KTVFanThe only premium channels I was really interested that I've lost were Eurosport 1/2 which I still have via Eurosport Player for and watching Sky Sports in full HD and being able to record/rewind is (just about) worth it. If I was someone who watched a lot of the entertainment channels that are gone then I can fully see why it wouldn't be.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 913 of 1,477

@tweetSP0RT 

If you are happy with the new packages then that is all that counts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 914 of 1,477

@4KTVFan @edsib1 

Doesn’t include cinema at £11 so about the same.

and you are locked into that package for 18 months (plus bb on top). BT allows you to drop every month. And there is no guarantee about thier pay rises each year. Plus no BT in 4K.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 915 of 1,477

@4KTVFan  I'm not exactly doing cartwheels about it, the huge delays and the way it's been introduced have been less than ideal. A bolt on to the existing packages would've been best but as that's not the case it's the least worst option for my particular circumstances.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 916 of 1,477

@scointer 

Good point.

They are pretty much the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 917 of 1,477

For frame rate geeks the channels on the BT TV EPG (excluding 4K) are either 576i50 for SD or 1080i50 for HD. This includes all the new Now TV package channels. These are defined by the multicast network that BT use to distribute TV channels which assures your connection is not affected by general traffic on the net. Note that you need to pay the £5 HD & 4K bolt on to get the HD channels.

Now TV via its various apps is generally either 720p25 (low spec HD) or 1080p25 (HD), with certain channels (Main Event, Premier League, F1) being 1080p50. The only way to get the 1080 resolution feeds is to pay for the Now TV boost pass. Now TV apps use unicast distribution which is subject to degradation from net traffic.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 918 of 1,477

As Sky don't offer free cloud storage, double mobile phone data, 4G/5G data back for fibre just to name a few. Also I've heard Sky Fibre not being as good as BT.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 919 of 1,477

@jam2000 

All really good points!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 920 of 1,477

I don’t like the changes but I can see a bit behind it.

I do wonder if these new packages need to be tied to skys systems for the pass billing and therefore they have stated they won’t allow the extra channels to be supplied by BT on this system.

That said BT never wanted to be in the TV business they just used it so they could offer a 4 play offer and they could retain bb customers.

this new system gives them a tv platform with access to everyone’s content, the channels are in a large state of flux with Nat geo possibly going and a&e costing up with sky therefore we could see very few channels with any value left soon.

BT were only making a small amount (minus the £15 it can still get for sports) for its own tv service so weigh up how much they will lose from customers against how much the individual carriage deal cost and I bet there is not much value in it.

I still think there are a few channels (Eurosport/UKTV) that would be worth retaining but if you get Netflix/Amazon/BritBox/NowTV possibly Disney+. In a few months time how many will actually just remember being able to turn these channels on and off every month against missing those other channels.

I think we will see BT push HALO to try and sell people a large bundle (BB/Mobile/TV) all under a single cost things they can control more than TV content.

0 Ratings