cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 1151 of 1,477

Re: Full Now TV through the YouView box

Perhaps my biggest concern is the future of BT TV.

The NowTV packs are clearly described as BT's "New TV service", which I believe means that at some point their Classic Entertainment pack will fade away.

BT will having existing contacts in place for the channels in the MAX 4K and new Classic Entertainment packs, but those will come to an end at some point, and my fear is that BT don't intend to renew them.

Imagine if Virgin Media had added SKY channels, but at the same time, removed all the other entertainment channels they had been supplying customers! It would have been a joke!

This is what has happened here.

Ever since BT launched their 4K TV box, which is a few years now, they have only ever provided one TV show in 4K, and that is Snatch series 1 and 2, that's it!

I can't see NowTV launching any 4K content, they have only just introduced their HD boost after many years.

It now feels like any hope for future new channels will be via NowTV, it looks like the days of BT negotiating and buying packages of TV channels to expand their TV service is over, as I feel is their ambitions around 4K.

The BT TV APP is now far less interesting once the existing BT subscription channels are removed.

It now feels like after years of trying, BT have finally taken the decision to 'step back' and realign their TV ambitions, their new model is simple, involves far less risk, and far less investment. They are now simply a wholesaler of the NowTV service, they will make a modest amount on each TV package, but the huge investments involved in trying to compete in winning and keeping channels is gone.

I know there are many people on these forums are are delighted with the new packages, however the base Entertainment package is after all just Freeview combined with NowTV Entertainment Pass.

Message 1152 of 1,477

They may be straightforward but do I trust BT to deliver them to a satisfactory standard for at least the next 24 months? Not on this showing, no.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1153 of 1,477

And if there weren’t 4K boxes people would be complaining why aren’t there any. There’s 4K content there. Or are they supposed to wait until a certain percentage of shows until they give them?

0 Ratings
Hooba
Contributor
Message 1154 of 1,477

A lot of people are going to have mixed feelings about the new packages, but particularly the axing of the Max package. And I think its that, effectively reducing what was Max to an SD only offering, which shows BT's colours here.

But I guess the question here is just how much value the Max package was to BT. I only had it because I was paying £16 a month and it had BT Sport with it. There was no point cancelling it, only to then pay £15 for BT Sport. 

But when I left Sky 4 years ago and switched to BT, it was always on the basis that apart from the Sport, there was pretty much nothing I was ever going to watch - so I was always going to have to supplement with NowTV. Which I've been doing ever since.

I know that's just my personal point of view - but I do wonder just how much value BT's channel line up, as it was, outside Sport, really held, to BT / majority of subscribers. Looking at how it's played out, I'd say not much value to BT. 

I am much 'happier' now I've got all my content in one box, one remote etc. As is the mrs. It's been 4 years since its been like that (i.e. 4 years ago when I left Sky) and my contractual obligation is a tenner a month.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 1155 of 1,477

The value is held within what plans Sky have for NowTV in the future. They want to increase subscriber penetration especially to potential customers where a dish isn't an option. Sky X was being mooted around and that's been available in Austria and Italy for a while but they've gone quiet about a UK launch. Buddying up with BT gives both companies and their customers access to all the Sport, biggest entertainment shows and with a lot of the channels now being owned by HBO, Comcast or Herst Media this could be a very positive move by all parties

0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 1156 of 1,477

It will also get better too in a few weeks time when Sky Nature, Sky Documentaries, Sky History and Sky History 2 launch. 

dfel100
Aspiring Expert
Message 1157 of 1,477

Sorry David, just tested recording again and it works perfectly.  Thanks for following it up with me.  Kind regards, David

ney
Expert
Message 1158 of 1,477

Watching Blue Bloods on Sky Atlantic HD via the Now TV app using the BT retail box in my bedroom on my over 5 year old 22 inch Samsung full HD smart and it says stream quality 7831 is that right. For pitcure quality seems fine.
Im also on BT Fibre 2 with speeds of near 70mb most of the time.

In living room I can watch Now TV channels via the Youview EPG.

Is the HD Entertanment channels on Now TV vis the EPG in 1080.

Edit Now watching Chicago Fire on Box sets also via the Now TV app on Youview box and it says stream quality 4834 is that also right.

Darren

0 Ratings
chilton55555
Aspiring Expert
Message 1159 of 1,477

Hi @jam2000 

I was not aware of plans to launch Sky Nature & Sky Documentaries on Now TV which is certainly good news for many on this forum. Can you please confirm this and advise source?

0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 1160 of 1,477