Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robotman1
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 206

Re: Full Now TV through the YouView box

@ken2222 

You already started a thread about this in which I shared a link to the BT stance on the issue https://community.bt.com/t5/TV-Content-including-BT-Sport/the-fall-now-tv-on-bt/td-p/1958291

0 Ratings
KernowChris
Expert
Message 42 of 206

One issue that nobody has so far addressed is the ability, or not, for purchasers of NOW TV passes elsewhere to get full access to content on BTTV YouView. If BT is simply reselling these then that should be the case. However the unique recording function could put a spanner in the works. So if a customer purchases the current £199 ten month sport offer before it expires, assuming NOW TV is not available on BTTV, then the pass owner might not be able to use it on BT YouView. They'll need to wait until it's expiry to obtain a pass via BT to use BTTV to access.  

A detailed clarification of ALL aspects of the service is needed sooner rather than later. 

stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 43 of 206

@KernowChriswrote:

A detailed clarification of ALL aspects of the service is needed sooner rather than later. 

Agreed.

I already have passes ready for when my current freebies (acquired via McDonald’s Monopoly), finish taking me into early 2020. I’m not going to buy them at full price from BT just to get exclusive access to features.

0 Ratings
tweetSP0RT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 206

@KernowChriswrote:

One issue that nobody has so far addressed is the ability, or not, for purchasers of NOW TV passes elsewhere to get full access to content on BTTV YouView. If BT is simply reselling these then that should be the case. However the unique recording function could put a spanner in the works. So if a customer purchases the current £199 ten month sport offer before it expires, assuming NOW TV is not available on BTTV, then the pass owner might not be able to use it on BT YouView. They'll need to wait until it's expiry to obtain a pass via BT to use BTTV to access.  

I tried to get some clarity but basically got nowhere with BT on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/tweetSP0RT/status/1156142216605249536

So I'm guessing people who take the £199 deal should expect to effectively 'write that off' when the Now TV deal finally comes to fruition (assuming it's before the end of the football season!!). 

0 Ratings
Andy005
Expert
Message 45 of 206

@KernowChriswrote:

I thought the main aspect of this deal was that customers would add the cost to their BT bill, so I would expect that customers would not be able to use Now TV passes to watch the relevant channels via their BT Box. I would also expect that customers would pay full price for the channels, as they do now for what is currently available. Sky and BT are really targeting the 'convenience' customer, where the importance of have one less box outweighs the costs.

There is no way that I can ever see the possibility of BT customers being able to buy and use their own cheap Now TV passes on the service when it comes to BT, it's not going to happen. 

0 Ratings
tweetSP0RT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 206

@Andy005wrote:

@KernowChriswrote:

I thought the main aspect of this deal was that customers would add the cost to their BT bill, so I would expect that customers would not be able to use Now TV passes to watch the relevant channels via their BT Box. I would also expect that customers would pay full price for the channels, as they do now for what is currently available. Sky and BT are really targeting the 'convenience' customer, where the importance of have one less box outweighs the costs.

There is no way that I can ever see the possibility of BT customers being able to buy and use their own cheap Now TV passes on the service when it comes to BT, it's not going to happen. 

I don't think people mind paying full price just the vagueness of communications on a deal announced 2017 means that people are stuck in a quandray.  Take the Now TV deal and then suddenly it gets announced to be launching in September/October or wait and then find out it's delayed further.   There is also a big disconnect with the customer service advisors.  I was told on the phone that it was launching at the start of August only a couple of weeks ago.  

0 Ratings
TIMSPORTSFAN
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 206

My main concern (as well as the price) is what the picture quality will be like.  I'm not sure NowTV will cut the mustard on newer TVs, especially for sport (which is what I am interested in here).

I  am also concerned that Now TV is a streaming service and therefore there is a delay in receiving the content (I have mentioned this earlier in the thread).

I wait to see what BT come up with.  Sad to say, if it is as I expect, I'll be leaving BT at the end of my contract and go to either Sky or Virgin where I can get all the sports channels.

0 Ratings
chilton55555
Contributor
Message 48 of 206

Once NOW TV starts to offer 1080p quality streaming as promised to NOW TV customers this year if BT do not compete on price then it becomes a no brainer as any price premium BT charges would be for the ability to record 'live' sport which in my mind rather defeats the purpose of watching it live. Apps and catch up TV will basically make the need to record the live event redundant. I honestly believe that BT is waiting for NOW TV to commence 1080p streaming before deciding pricing as a reseller of this product.  Obviously films and NOW TV programs channels will benefit from the ability to record. 

0 Ratings
Andy005
Expert
Message 49 of 206

I agree with you @tweetSP0RT but it's TV Land we're talking about here. Delaying things by 6 months or more isn't uncommon, nor does it seem to bother them. My opinion is that it's pointless asking Customer Services about things like this, they're extremely unlikely to know any more than we do.

Words like 'soon', 'autumn' etc can generally be taken to mean quite some time away and not when most people would understand it to be 😀 

0 Ratings
chilton55555
Contributor
Message 50 of 206

Now TV has publicly stated it is to start streaming it products in 1080p later this year. Hence in my mind if you take the annual pass with NOW TV they will be the ones to contact for the price of HD upgrade.

Please see below link for confirmation

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/now-tv/147996-now-tv-plus-1080p-streaming-service-launching

0 Ratings