cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leg2ion
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Help in receiving BT Sports

Hopefully someone will be able to assist?

Quick question is, if I buy a BT Youview box (from Dabs - not BT), will I be able to receive/watch BT Sports, already being a subscriber to Infinity2 for Fibre BB?

To explain the circumstances, I used to have a TV, connected to an old Sky digibox with a 'once only' sky card in, plus a PVR. By linking the sky card to my BT account I could watch BT Sports. A few weeks ago the immersion tank decided to blow, flooding the house from top down, in the process killing the (old but surviving) entertainment system.

So, I am in the process of trying to 're-generate' my system, but obviously in the most efficient way possible.

Ideally I want freesat (previously received through the old sky digibox), plus freeview, but also the ability to watch BT Sports.

I was intending to purchase a BT Youview box to act as the conduit for both freeview and BT Sport, but don't know whether this would work without an additional subscription?

Failing that I would be looking to buy the Sky freesat system, so that would get me freesat and BT Sports, then buy a separate PVR with freeview.

Any help and advice gladly accepted.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Help in receiving BT Sports

Unfortunately to receive BT Sport channels on any YouView box you need a BTTV subscription (min £5 a month). If you are thinking of buying a box though why not sign up to BTTV for £5 a month plus a one off £35 activation charge, you will get the latest G4 YouView box (by far the best out there) and after 12 months the box is your's even if you cancel the subscription..

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27270

P.S. Dabs is owned by BT Smiley Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabs.com

Obviously if you stopped the subscription you would lose bt sports but it is fairly certain it will start to cost in 12 months time anyway

Other than that you could buy a £30 chromecast device and cast it onto your TV or use the sky method you describe.

Slightly unsure why you feel you need freesat and freeview.

Leg2ion
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

@scointer wrote:

Unfortunately to receive BT Sport channels on any YouView box you need a BTTV subscription (min £5 a month). If you are thinking of buying a box though why not sign up to BTTV for £5 a month plus a one off £35 activation charge, you will get the latest G4 YouView box (by far the best out there) and after 12 months the box is your's even if you cancel the subscription..

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27270

P.S. Dabs is owned by BT Smiley Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabs.com

Obviously if you stopped the subscription you would lose bt sports but it is fairly certain it will start to cost in 12 months time anyway

Other than that you could buy a £30 chromecast device and cast it onto your TV or use the sky method you describe.

Slightly unsure why you feel you need freesat and freeview.

scointer, many thanks for the response. To be totally honest I am asking on behalf of my Dad, who had the set up as described.

The estate he lives on has 'piped' satellite and digital tv - ie no personal minidishes/aerials. In answer to the freeview AND freesat question, by all accounts if he recorded on one (either freeview or /sat) the quality of what he was watching at the time dropped or vice versa. I am thinking that this may possibly be due to the age of his equipment, and possibly the way it was connected. I will do more digging on what he actually needs - understanding at his age he needs it 'just to work'!

I am thinking the Sky freesat route is the way to go - i.e. simplest, then add on a PVR and DVD player.

His main concern is he needs the Sky/freesat so he can watch BT Sports, free due to his BB contract.

I have heard that chromecast may not be fully up to the task in hand, in that the picture may lose definition when connected up to a full size TV. I guess there is only one way to find out - might have to look into one myself...

PS - Realised DABS is a BT product - but it does some awesome deals at times...(just bagged around £240 worth of gaming kit for a little under a £100!)!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

If you are thinking of buying a separate Freeview PVR (as well as setting up Freesat or Freesat from Sky equipment) then the points about taking out a BT TV subscription for a year is this.

• The BT Youview+ box would be sent for free.
  • The total cost would be £35 activation + (12*£5) = £95. Not bad for what is considered by most to be a pretty good Freeview PVR.
  • Only £35 would be needed to be paid now and the other £60 is spread over the 12 months.
  • During the 12 months BT Sport can be added at no additional cost (as long as you commit to the BT Infinity for those 12 months).
  • The added BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN channels are recordable (unlike on Freesat from Sky).

So as long you get a good freeview signal and Infinty speed, and you were strict and set yourself a reminder to cancel the service in 12 months time, it's a very good way of getting a decent Freeview PVR on the cheap. It also means you would have plenty of time to think about whether you want Freesat or Freesat from Sky or Freeview or Youview or whatever longer term. You would be getting free BT Sport over Infinity on the Youview box for now, so no rush.

From the 2015/2016 season we all expect BT to start charging BT Broadband customers some sort of rate for BT Sport. It may still be discounted but unlikely to still be free. This is when the exclusive Champions League content deal kicks in. So you might then no longer want a Freesat from Sky box if it was only a means of viewing totally free BT Sport while it lasted.

Leg2ion
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

umpire, fantastic advice - many thanks. You have highlighted an option I hadn't even thought about.

How does the BT Youview+ box connect, as his HH is currently upstairs next to his computer, and I am assuming the box would need to connect to the HH for it to work?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

To be fair I was just expanding on what scointer suggested earlier. Smiley Happy

"If you are thinking of buying a box though why not sign up to BTTV for £5 a month plus a one off £35 activation charge, you will get the latest G4 YouView box (by far the best out there) and after 12 months the box is your's even if you cancel the subscription.."

Yes the BT Youview+ box would need to be connected to the BTHomeHub. By far the best way to do this is by a single ethernet cable. This is the only way that BT officially support the multicast extra channels over Infinity (such as BT Sport). However some customers do use powerline adapters without issue even with multicast channels. It all depends on your home mains wiring. I would strongly advise using an ethernet cable if at all possible though. Once installed you can just forget about it. You might consider relocating the HomeHub next to the TV if possible (often not so easy on Infinity) and connecting to a PC by wireless?

The one thing to bear in mind is what happens when BT announce the prices for BT Sport for 2015/2016. Let's say they make it £6 for BT broadband customers and you think I'm happy with that for another year. With Freesat from Sky you just pay £6, with BT TV you would have to pay £6 and continue to pay the £5 BT TV subscription. So it's not necessarily the perfect solution longer term.

Choices, choices!

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

... and to predict your next question .... Can I move the BT Sport discounted channels to a Freesat from Sky box say in 12 months time if I choose to end the BT TV subscription then and just use the BT box as a normal Youview+ box?

The answer is yes as far as I know. You can choose which box to receive the discounted BT Sport pack on and phone BT to move it, but it is only discounted on one box. As things currently stand, if you want it on both a BT TV and Sky box you have to pay full price for it on the second box.

0 Ratings
Leg2ion
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

And that is the issue. My dads old sky digibox got soaked in the flood, so he is currently without freesat, freeview and BT Sports, hence my question - trying to figure the most efficient way to get 'everything'...without a major outlay. 

We thought about buying a Sky+ box, but it isn't from Sky, and would also 'waste' the recording functionality as it won't work without a PPM subscription...

The BT way could be the best to go, certainly cheapest option and get recordable freeview at the end.

As you said choices, choices, choices --- arggghhhhh!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 13

@Leg2ion wrote:

We thought about buying a Sky+ box, but it isn't from Sky, and would also 'waste' the recording functionality as it won't work without a PPM subscription...

I think you can pay SKY a tenner a month and you then get to use the recording facility. You would need to get the SKY card paired with the new box or get a freesatfromsky card.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Leg2ion
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Most odd...just spoke to a Sky rep - who told me you couldn't get BT Sports with Freesat - which I think is incorrect - but If however I wanted to take out a 'proper' package and 12 month contract then yes I could get it...

Thanks all to the input, I think I know what direction to go in.

0 Ratings