Message 1 of 14

History Channel

I really like the History Channel

Why is BT cancelling it ?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: History Channel

There's a few carriage licenses coming to an end and BT have chosen not to renew their carriage deal as History is available via the NowTV flexible packs

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

chosen not to renew as it wants the  customers to go onto more expensive other deals

so the plan must be for this plant o naturally die as they do not renew any of the channels

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

I don't know the facts of this one, but remember that the History Channel is now owned by Sky and branded "Sky History". NowTV is owned by Sky, so they may not have wanted to renew the carriage contract with BT in the legacy TV package?

After the changes on the 1st March, I don't think that there will be any Sky branded channels left in the legacy package?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

As bt has the now tv relationship .. i assume this decision has not been forced on bt

this makes the decision even worse and more cynical 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

From a cost point of view it does appear that BT are winding down the legacy packs.

Message 7 of 14

I would suggest it costs by nothing to keep these channels on place

bt knows that the customers who have this package like watching these channels .. so obviously they have to be cut ... but offered if you pay bt more for a bigger package with channels you don’t want 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Probably costs by nothing to have this legacy pack .. they have recognised that documentary watches don’t want the other Channels .. so they have force customers on more expensive plans to get Channels they don’t want just to keep the channels they already have
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

There are contractual and financial reasons why these channels MUST be shut down - and it has nothing to do with forcing people to pay more for the new packages.
It does cost a lot to broadcast channels - especially when it has to be done in multiple different formats to support all the different platforms on which you can watch BT TV. That's also a whole lot of multicast bandwidth that needs to be reserved across the BT network, which could be used to bring new channels to the lineup.
Message 10 of 14

This makes little sense to me .. BT broadcasts the sky history channel via now tv

this is purely a choice not to have the same channel in this bundle

if history channel was being removed from BT that would be a different discussion 

0 Ratings