cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

I have a smart TV and don't use the BT-TV box; do I need BT TV classic?

Hello, I am about to renew my broadband contract with BT and they want me to renew a Classic TV subscription for £7/month.  I'm not sure if I need it.  My configuration is:

- Sony Bravia smart TV

- TV aerial plugged right into the TV

- BT Infinity broadband, home hub with Wi-Fi routed directly to the TV's built-in Wi-Fi receiver

- No BT or YouView Box!

My requirements are:

- Watch Freeview channels:  (this works now, I think they are coming via the aerial and the TV's own built-in Freeview tuner, but I am not sure if BT is providing the program guide) 

- Watch streaming Netflix and Prime services via my apps on the TV: (this works now, we have subscriptions independent of BT)

- Watch BBC iPlayer, All4, and other free catchup services (this works now)

- Use the program guide that provides switching among the freeview channels

- NO requirement to record, pause, or restart live TV broadcasts

- NO requirement to use the YouView app -  I'm not sure what it would do for me.

Does anyone know if I need BT Classic TV, or what it provides?

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: I have a smart TV and don't use the BT-TV box; do I need BT TV classic?

Unless you want BT Classic TV you really don't need it, or your youview box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 5

Hi @satherb 

As far as I can see Classic only offers AMC in terms of subscription channels, so you are effectively paying for a recordable TV Box that you don't use. You will have the Freeview EPG so based upon your list of requirements, your set up gives you what you need and you don't need to pay £7 for the Classic package. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

So your Sony Bravia likely has a Youview app built into it which is why you may be getting a bit confused. The Youview app in the Sony Bravia Android TVs is not supplied by BT and you don't need to pay them for it.

Given your requirements you don't need to buy any TV package whatsoever from BT. All the Classic TV package would provide you with are the BT Sport Channels, AMC, and a recording box, and you have said you don't need these things.

As you say, you have the catch up services, Amazon & Netflix built into your Sony already, so you don't need an additional BT TV box to get these.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 5

Hi @satherb 

I don't understand why they would ask you to 'renew' your BT TV Classic if you don't actually have it in the first place?

Unless you want BT Sport or AMC (the only extra channels other than Freeview in Classic TV) there is no point in you getting this service. BT don't provide the programming guide.

If you ever did want the features mentioned like recording, pause, Freeview HD (if your TV cant receive HD Channels) etc this can be achieved with a one-off purchase of a Freeview HD Box with a Hardrive. 

The YouView app would allow you to see the TV Guide and send things to be recorded to your box.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'