cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

ITV 2/3/4 HD in Aerial Mode

I recently signed up to BT TV with a view to it replacing sky. I have a good aerial signal and broadband connection so I would prefer to use in aerial mode so that I can record up to 4 channels at once but don’t understand why I have to lose some HD channels at the same time.

I get that in internet mode there’s less freeview channels if they can’t be provided via internet, but when I’m in aerial mode I don’t understand why the extra HD channels that are not available via freeview like ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD etc. can’t still be provided over the internet?

I know this would be providing channels by aerial and internet, but this is what’s happening anyway as the Now subscription and BT Sport channels are via the internet anyway.

Does anyone know whether these channels will be provided in future? Or if they will be available when the new ITVX app is launched?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: ITV 2/3/4 HD in Aerial Mode

Although I haven’t seen an official announcement, ITVX app is expected to launch on 10th November. All of ITV’s services will be available on there “ in better quality” according to an article I read recently. I’m not sure if that equates to full HD or not. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

From what I have gained from this forum, the HD channels take up too much bandwidth on Freeview. Therefore it's not possible to have HD version as a standalone channel. As all HD bandwidth has been allocated,

Extra HD Channels Only available via IP mode. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

@Brucemeister5wrote:

Although I haven’t seen an official announcement, ITVX app is expected to launch on 10th November. All of ITV’s services will be available on there “in better quality” according to an article I read recently. I’m not sure if that equates to full HD or not. 

It does mean full HD, although live streaming of channels is not included on some connected devices/TVs and some content isn't available to watch on a stream rather than live broadcast.

Live TV on ITVXLive TV on ITVX

BT TV is an included device in the list for anyone wondering, apart from first generation YouView boxes.

Standard pricing for ITVX Premium, which you need to remove ads, enable downloads and get Britbox included, is going to be £5.99 per-month or £59.99 annually. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for the messages guys. Looks like the new ITV app should provide live streaming of the ITV HD channels, will have to wait an see.

But ideally I would just like there to be an aerial plus internet mode where you get all the freeview channels via the aerial and but also the extra HD channels you get in the internet mode via the WiFi.

Message 6 of 14

You can always use a second Freeview PVR for aerial broadcasts while using the Youview box in internet mode.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

If still within your cancellation period - you could look instead at one the newer Freeview/Freesat Boxes, which does allow a mix of over IP and Over the Air channels.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

@Brucemeister5wrote:

Although I haven’t seen an official announcement, ITVX app is expected to launch on 10th November. 

Confirmed as 8th December launch.

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itvx-uks-freshest-streaming-service-launch-8th-decemb... 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 9 of 14

10th November was anticipated by some on another forum as the launch date as it happens to be when the current  ITV Hub ts&cs are updated. As current subscribers to Britbox (but not ITV Hub) we’re looking forward to the launch as we’ll get the best of both worlds for the same price we’re paying at the moment. 

Message 10 of 14

ITVX launch delayed until 8th December

7 November 2022

The service will launch with over 10,000 hours of content in HD and live streaming of the final stages of the FIFA Men’s World Cup.

ITV’s new streaming service ITVX will launch a month later than ITV bosses previously indicated. Ahead of the launch on Thursday 8th December, the ITVX app will begin rolling out across devices and platforms.

Looks like will have to wait a bit longer.  

HD but No UHD.