cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

ITVX to replace ITV Hub and Hub+

Go to solution

Full article here: https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/itv-launches-new-streaming-service-itvx 

New ITVX streaming service to launch this year, replacing existing ITV Hub, Hub+. the service will have free and paid for versions. Most new ITV programmes will appear on ITVX months before linear TV.

Subscribers will get access to BritBox content as well.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: ITVX to replace ITV Hub and Hub+

Go to solution
This does sound interesting. The big thing of course is cost!
It does appear that many broadcasters are now looking at additional revenue through their apps.
Disney+ Paramount+ etc. etc.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I think it will be something like £5.99 a month/£59.99 a year, usual trial period etc. They of course may go higher but as there is already very little that ITV produce that I care about, it won't effect me either way!

As the live sport coverage remains available on linear TV and anything they add to ITVX that I might be interested in will eventually end up on ITV 1 in HD and be recordable, I'll get it then. 

If of course you want access to ITV 2, 3 and 4 in HD then it sounds like they will be available on this service, just like they are/where with Hub+, device dependent. 

We should use the term "HD" loosely with ITV though, when I had a trial of Hub+ on my Apple TV, HD topped out at 720p on live channels. On demand was much better to be fair. 

Hopefully for BT TV users, BT will make the full quality version of this app available, do a deal for some free access (like BritBox) and roll in integrated billing for those that want it.

————————————————————-
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Well looking at what ITV  are saying through their official communication 

Until the launch of ITVX later this year, ITV Hub will continue to be the free streaming home of ITV, with ongoing plans to scale up the amount of content on the service in the run up to ITVX launch.  ITV Hub currently has 4,000 hours of content while ITVX will have around 15,000 hours at launch.  

BritBox will remain the standalone subscription home of the best of British content including forthcoming originals Why Don’t They Ask Evans? and The Dry, until later this year, when the content on ITV Hub and BritBox come together in what will be the new streaming home of ITV, ITVX.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Sky have been talking of launching a full ITV Hub experience in their COMING SOON, since about last July. I'm guessing it could well be this new ITVX. I hope it is integrated with BT as it could enhance users viewing if happy to pay for it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@zulu17wrote:

Well looking at what ITV  are saying through their official communication 

Until the launch of ITVX later this year, ITV Hub will continue to be the free streaming home of ITV, with ongoing plans to scale up the amount of content on the service in the run up to ITVX launch.  ITV Hub currently has 4,000 hours of content while ITVX will have around 15,000 hours at launch.  

BritBox will remain the standalone subscription home of the best of British content including forthcoming originals Why Don’t They Ask Evans? and The Dry, until later this year, when the content on ITV Hub and BritBox come together in what will be the new streaming home of ITV, ITVX.

Yep, that's exactly what the quote says in post 1. 😁

Meanwhile in other news, the BBC are dropping out of being a shareholder in BritBox UK, but will still contribute content.

————————————————————-
Tags (5)
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@stereohaven  No the article you quote appears to be reusing parts of ITV official statements along with their own interpretation some of which personally I feel is not substantiated by ITV official statements to date.  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

RX:TV (and a516digital before it when Mike owned it), have proven over many years to be an excellent source of reliable information that provides wider context to the standard press releases sent out.

This is mainly due to the number of people they know internally at BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 who corroborate the content and provide exclusive information.

That said, I compared the RX:TV story to the official ITV press release (which is here if anyone wants it), and I have to admit I am at a complete loss as to why you think anything has been misinterpreted, but each to their own. 😁

————————————————————-
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Many thanks @stereohaven for that post!

Quite an interesting read. its certainly going to shift the balance from 10% britbox, 20% Hub, and say 70% linear to pretty much 60% itvx with 40% linear.

Sky has essentially come out with a 'streaming only' tv, I suspect we will see more of this type of tv with the shift to streaming and TV generally centralised around an 'app'.

Having used a Roku in the US, they are already doing this with many apps having its own nested content plus a live feed.
The introduction of pay more for ad free is quite frequent over there.

I suspect britbox will collapse in the end and its content moving over to the relevant hubs (e.g iplayer, itvx, all4, my5 etc).

The thing that will be sore for most is watch now by paying now, but watch free after nine months...  you'll get people who have paid and watched it and the media boom over a certain drama (think when Downton Abby was on, it was hyped everywhere) , and those who have not paid may find themselves uncomfortable as by the time the months are up, the damned spoilers will have easily been broadcast. Of course by the time Series 1 is free series 2 probably will launch...

its an interesting prospect, I wonder if BT would offer it as an add on? - if the content was upto UHD standards and plenty of it and the price is right I may well subscribe given its ad free too. It's not like ITV is short of content.

Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@biohazardx9wrote:

Sky has essentially come out with a 'streaming only' tv, I suspect we will see more of this type of tv with the shift to streaming and TV generally centralised around an 'app'.

They have, and for some it's a good option, but for many it is a low quality panel with software a long way away from being useful and a user experience that bears no resemblance to the marketing.

In my opinion almost everyone would be better off spending money on a decent smart TV with Freeview/apps and a nice soundbar, but I realised ages ago actually caring about picture and sound quality puts me in a very small minority Sky Glass isn't aimed at. 

The other key point is all this streaming needs high quality bandwidth and introduces latency. As BT use multicast to deliver channels the latency has always been pretty good, 10 - 15 seconds behind a satellite broadcast of the same channel in my experience.

Sky Glass uses unicast, so you are often 60 - 80 seconds behind terrestrial or satellite broadcast on the same channel. Nothing less enjoyable than hearing your neighbour next door celebrating a goal against your team a full minute or so before you even see the ball go in.

Ultimately you are right though, the march is on towards all content being delivered this way, no more aerials or expensive satellites to launch, just a very fragmented FTTH network to sort out first. 

Anyone else remember the Apple Keynote from around 2015 when they boldly predicted "The future of TV is apps."?

@biohazardx9wrote:

I suspect britbox will collapse in the end and its content moving over to the relevant hubs (e.g iplayer, itvx, all4, my5 etc).

Not collapse IMHO, just continue as a brand outside the UK.

I think they have realised that they can barely give it away here and the "exclusives" are just not good enough to demand a wider paying audience. 

@biohazardx9wrote:

...its an interesting prospect, I wonder if BT would offer it as an add on? - if the content was upto UHD standards and plenty of it and the price is right I may well subscribe given its ad free too. It's not like ITV is short of content.

I am confident it will be available through BT in some shape or form. ITV are not renowned for actually caring about picture quality, so UHD would be a very unexpected bonus if it became available.

It would be good for BT TV to have more UHD content available for sure, although I'm not sure many people will pay extra just to watch the likes of Coronation Street in 4K. 😁

————————————————————-
0 Ratings