cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ringo2224
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Is the Renewal of a BT contract right in the circumstances mentioned?

Hello.

I am hoping you could provide me with some guidance? On Tuesday 20th October, I created a post headed, 'Turner Classic (TCM) Channel'.  In this post, I wanted to find out which TV package one would need to obtain in order to have the TCM channel. Thank you to all those who responded and provide me with the required information. Since that post, my Father-Law got in touch with BT to enquire about BT TV packages that include the TCM channel. My Father-Law renewed his broadband and phone contract contract back in June of this year. The only TV package he had at the time was BT Sports.

Please stay with me.

When he got in touch with BT on Wednesday 21st October, one of the entertainment packages the operator mentioned included a bolt on called 'More Entertainment'. My Father-Law asked if the TCM channel was included in this package and the operator said yes. So based on this information, my Father-Law purchased this package. After an hour, he realised he was not able to find the TCM channel through the TV guide. He got back in touch with BT and asked the operator why he was unable to find the TCM channel. The operator told him the TCM channel was not included in the purchased package. Based on this new information, he asked for the package to be cancelled.

While still on the phone to the operator, my Father-Law asked if the 'Classic Entertainment' package included 'National Geographic Wild' channel. The operator said yes. So based on this information, he purchased the packaged. Again after an hour, he realised he was not able to find the 'National Geographic Wild' channel through the TV guide. And again, he got back in touch with BT and asked the operator why he was unable to find the 'National Geographic Wild' channel. The operator told him the 'National Geographic Wild' channel was not included in the package he purchased. So based on this new information, he asked for the packaged to be cancelled.

Later that day, my Father-Law received an email from BT thanking him for renewing his broadband and phone contract. In his previous interactions (mentioned above) with BT, he was not made aware that taking out a new TV package would renew his broadband and phone. I feel that this is beside the point anyway, because he cancelled the TV packages mentioned above. To me, his contract expiration date should be based on when he originally renewed his contract back in June and not the 21st October.

He got back in touch with BT one final time to enquire why his broadband and phone had been renewed and the operator mentioned this is BT's policy. This does not seem right to me. Can anyone provide any guidance?

Thank you in advance.
Kind regards.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
JohnC2
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is the Renewal of a BT contract right in the circumstances mentioned?

Hi @Ringo2224 thanks for posting and sorry that your Father-in-Law has been told he is in a new contract for broadband when he canceled the order for the new TV package. 

As the order was canceled and if he requested no other changes to his broadband package then the contract should revert back to the original contract date. Have a chat with the Billing LiveChat team and ask them to check the contract terms. Post back and let us know how you get on.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Robh1
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

National Geographic  Wild is included in the Classic Entertainment package, was your father in law looking for the HD channel? That wouldn’t show if he hadn’t got the HD add-on but there is an SD channel.

0 Ratings
Ringo2224
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thanks a lot John. I greatly appreciate your advice.

My Father-In-Law got in touch with BT on the chat window and they resolved his issue by reverting his contract back to the original date. They were also apologetic with regards to the service he received and will provide feedback to the operators he dealt with.

Thanks again John.

0 Ratings
Ringo2224
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Thanks Robh1, I will check this with my Father-In-Law.

0 Ratings