cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcrobbo8
Message 1 of 5

MLB restrictions

i went to watch opening day on espn last night and the unable to watch due to online restriction message came up at 9.00pm and was like that all night,i didnt get to see any live games at all,i just read a post about said message saying bt tv and sky packages were not affected,which is a bit rough considering u have to have bt broadband for bt sport,also if this is how opening day went im assuming the same message will be appearing frequently throughout the MLB season.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: MLB restrictions

I believe its down to the rights that were originally negotiated with MLB by ESPN for coverage in Europe that BT effectively acquired when they bought the ESPN licensed company.

The statement - Major League Baseball not available online does appear in the Legal stuff details that appears on the BT web pages for their TV product.

0 Ratings
RobSmithS
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Regarding the online viewing restriction if it is the case that some MLB games are subject to restriction and others are not wouldn't it make sense for BT to notify subscribers in advance which games they will and will not be able to view online?

This could be done either by updating a list or by informing subscribers of the criteria by which the games are restricted.

Potentially that information could be passed on very easily.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RobSmithS
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

On the Sky Help Forum if a query about something like this to do with their programming was raised - in this case here with BT it is: why are some mlb games blocked on the bt sport website/app yet others not and in a seemingly arbitrary manner - a mod or administrator would have gone and found out the information or at least tried to find out an answer, and returned with an explanation.

Is it really too much to ask to find out which games are blocked and why instead of just finding out when they commence? Possibly it would be simply enough to have whatever the criteria is for the blocking explained to unravel the seemingly random mystery of whether to expect to stream a game or not in advance? An answer would be greatly appreciated about this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Rob - I thought last season they did publish a list on the website of games blacked out.

The mods placed a sticky on this forum months ago explaining about the black out

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/Online-broadcast-restrictions-on-some-ESPN-content/td-p/959344

Is it not currently  the case that the BT Sport website says when the programme  is not available. The website glist programmes upto 7 days ahead.

I just had a look at the sport.bt.com   watch-bt-sport program description and if you click on a future live MLB program the i(nformation)

eg for -24?May at 9pm the program description reads

Detroit Tigers v Texas Rangers (Start-time 9.08pm). Coverage of the American League match at Comerica Park. Not available online or on the BT Sport App.

0 Ratings