Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 15

New TV Packages from 21 Feb 2020

Evening,

Just considering moving my TV viewing from another provider to BT, I currently have FTTC with BT with 75/19 speeds.

With the announcement earlier this week that from the 21st Feb BT will be offering a completely revised TV structure consisting of:

Entertainment 

Sport

Big Entertainment

Big Sport

VIP

What happens to the existing subscription channels (Eurosport, Discovery, Nat Geo etc.)?  

I cannot find any information on this at all, not even small print. I obviously don't want to hold off but then lose out or worse, it'll cost me more than if I signed up in the next day or so.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: New TV Packages from 21 Feb 2020

This is the most detail I have seen:

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/tech/bt-take-aims-at-streamers-with-flexible-packages/5147287.article

So it sounds that if you are new to BT TV then if you want the current range of extra channels you have only one option, the '24 months Classic Entertainment pack', which is a 24 month TV contract alongside a 24 month broadband contract as per the existing TV contract arrangements.

All the other packages are flexible AS LONG as you have taken out a 24 month broadband contract.

Remember that Now TV Entertainment includes several of the current range of BT TV Extra Channels like Discovery. So you may not need the Classic Entertainment pack at all.

This new approach might work, except for the downside that BT is still tying customers into a 24 month broadband renewal for the right to access TV services. Of course most people will have alternate means to access Now TV etc. on their existing kit without tying themselves to a 24 month broadband renewal, so I don't see why people would take this BT access method - the only benefits I can see for a 24 month commitment are possibly 1080i50 instead of 720p25, and the ability to record.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 15

@sps1013 It is a question a lot of us are asking and it is still very vague, hopefully we will hear more tomorrow. It varies from you will only be able to get the BT Extra channels if you stay on what you have or take the classic package to there will be a smaller bolt on with the new packages to cover the extra channels you can't get from the NowTv Entertainment pass.

@Colin_London But if someone has FTTC with BT already why would they be bothered about tying into a contract? Everything these days comes with a contract, change supplier - minimum contract, Discount - minimum contract, new phone - minimum contract, cheaper car insurance - minimum contract etc etc

I appreciate a lot of people can get NowTV other ways but I also fail to see why the broadband contract is that big a deal IF you are happy with BT as your BB supplier.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

Hmmm, it is a strange one. 

The article does seem to make some sense but also poses yet more questions. I could convince myself that there will simply be the current classic package and then everything else is a bolt on or from the prescribed “bundle” type options. That would upon quick maths make it more expensive and less value than my current package from Sky. 

The whole point of me considering the move is to save money and at the current offering I would save considerably. 

I did find a Twitter post from BT saying existing customers could change so maybe that’s the bit I use to make the move. 

I don’t have a problem with the broadband being 24 months. Have an excellent deal at the moment which is about to end and they have offered the same tier of speed for 99p extra a month than I pay now for 24 months. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

24 months is an unreasonably long time for a contract. You might have a life changing event and have to economise with a cheaper supplier, or a new FTTP provider may become available. But you’ll never get the chance to change because you always have an unreasonably long time to wait to avoid punative termination charges.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

Most contracts are now 18 months. Phone contracts have been 24 months for a long time already. Just the way of the world. I think most companies do have options for life changing events and will look kindly upon reasonable requests. A new provider would probably require you to sign up for at least 18 months anyway so it is a bit of a mute point, we would all love to be able to chop and change the second someone offers up something at a slightly cheaper price but unfortunately that isn't the way it works companies have to be able to guarantee at least some return for the setup costs. You could argue 24 months is longer than 18 (or 12 if you are really lucky)  but what this also allows you is to chop and change your TV package every month so you could say if you signed up to SKY for TV and BB you would be locked into a 18 month deal possibly paying £60 a month just for TV for the whole term where with this BT package you could take the VIP £60 tier and if costs became an issue drop to the £10 a month tier all within the same contract without penalty. Or you could just stick with buying a Pass when you need it and not have any contract. If it was simple SKY wouldn't have a single customer on its satellite service because they would all be on its NowTV non contract service but there is a reason it has millions of subscribers on its satellite service. Apples and Oranges you pay your money and take your choice.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

There's now way I'm signing up for a 24 month contract just to add a flexible bolt on. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

I've been looking at changing to Virgin as my contract is up in April. At the moment they  are offering broadband, phone  plus BT sports, Sky Sports and Eurosport for £73 a month on a 12 month contract. It does seem a tempting offer compared to BT and I wonder if they've done this with the BT relaunch in mind.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

If Virgin were available in my area I would jump to them without question. Had them previously for a good few years and it was excellent. Sadly, the only offerings now in this house are BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone although I am only a few hundred metres from the cabinet hence decent speeds.

Sky currently provide the TV and to be honest its prices are not that bad versus content available in my opinion. But, a Sky bill and a BT bill combined works out £300/yr more than combining everything with BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

It would be nice when BT "restructure" things if they contacted existing customers, and explain how it affects them if it does, and which package they are now on...and if they have any upgrade options now available to them.