Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris201
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Non working freeview

Hello,

I'm currently with BT as my tv service provider. Randomly the freeview on my box has stopped working and through online feedback with BT reps, have been given the number of TSG (total support group). I rang and their only suggestion was for them to come out @ a staggering £49.99 call out fee...........I cant find any other option then this which seems like terrible service on BTs part........any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.......... I really dont intend spending £50 on a fix

Thanks

Chris

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Non working freeview

Hi @Chris201 

If you plug your aerial directly in to your TV do you still have the same problem? If you do then it's either the cable or the aerial, check the aerial plug(s) to make sure that you still have good connections. If it is the aerial then I would suggest that you find a local installer.

0 Ratings
Chris201
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for replying to me.........I'm just confused with the basics really. I've tried changing cables to no effect and bypassing the box and putting the cable straight into the tv (not sure If the tv alone is freeview compatable though). If the aerial was ok before why would I need to reinstall the aerial? Sorry I'm really rubbish with electrical problems

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

I would think that it's unlikely that your aerial would break down altogether all of a sudden, but it's not impossible. Too many call/contact centres use people who just read from a script and have no relevant product knowledge whatsoever, it often pays to try and do some fault finding yourself if you can.

Roughly how old is your TV? If it's about 10 years or less then it will have a digital tuner, some older sets had the old analogue tuner as well. When you plug the aerial into your TV you will need to retune, there will be an option under Settings. If your TV is fairly modern then you should be able to download the full operating instructions from the manufacturers website.

What BT TV box do you have? Have you tried switching the box off at the mains, or using maintenance mode to reset it?

You can find the instructions for Maintenance Mode Here

Select one of the options to keep recordings otherwise you will lose them. I would think that your problem is more likely to be with your box but it's important to try and check that your aerial and cables are okay.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Hi @Chris201  can you describe what happens when you experience the problem , is it a black screen , is there an error message , is it picture or sound breakup , is it Freeview channels disappearing from the guide for example ? Does the problem seem to occur when watching specific channels.

When the problem occurs if you change channels does it affect all channels eg channel 1 , 3 etc.?

When the problem occur are you still able to watch other content  eg does BBC  Iplayer  or your subscribed BT channels play normally ?

There is a Bt help page that may be useful

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49692/~/bad-quality-or-missing-freeview-channels-on-b...

0 Ratings