cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Now TV - Lost 5.1 and Full HD in app on all sources (youview, LG tv)

I've had Now TV with boost pack since summer working just fine. Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed I was only getting stereo sound, even on box sets I'd already seen in 5.1.

Checked all my other streaming apps and channels on youview box (BT ultimate etc.) and all outputting dolby digital+ or atmos as normal, even channels I have via Now tv like Sky Atlantic.

Then I noticed the bit rate that appears in the top right when starting a show was showing something like 4500 rather than normal 7800-ish.

Have checked my sub on mybt and I'm still signed up with boost pack, but from actually using it it feels like it's been disabled. I have tried on both youview box and on app built into my LG TV, both have identical problem.

TV and youview box both ethernet connected, so can't blame any wifi issues.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Now TV - Lost 5.1 and Full HD in app on all sources (youview, LG tv)

hi @shapeshifter 

if you activate the NOW TV app on your Youview box and scroll down to the My Account  section  do you see the NOW TV Boost listed as an Active Pass and if you select it’s  Settings what is your Audio set to currently ?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

oh, well this is embarassing... I didn't even know those options were there! Yeah, stereo. Wondering if that could automatically degrade if app was used when my broadband was unusually slow one day?

Having that set to stereo doesn't fully explain the lower bitrate though. I haven't got time now to see if that's gone back up too, but would be surprised if you could only get 1080 by selecting 5.1. I'm sure there are people who want 1080 but who can't make use of 5.1, so are possibly depriving themselves of extra quality.

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

That audio setting within the App is for the sound only .

When convienent I suggest that you give a couple of examples of programmes on the Youview box Now TV app that you are experience less than expected bit rate .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Had time to test now.

First of all, changing sound to 5.1 still only gives me stereo sound! And the bitrate is still under 5000. Tried the app (again) on both youview box and LG app. Still service as normal for live tv, netflix etc.

Have tried with Raised by Wolves, Brave New World, and several other shows. I watched all of Brave New World in 5.1 in November, so know something is wrong here.

As I said earlier, I'm on ethernet for tv and youview box, and regularly test incoming speed, so pretty certain low bitrate is not a broadband issue.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Quick observations

Probably nothing wrong with your BT Youview  box  so replacement or maintenance mode resets unnecessary.

I think this is the issue that has been raised on the Now Tv Community

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Other-Apps/Now-TV-Boost-Not-Getting-7830/td-p/550004

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Had no idea that Now TV forum existed, let alone that thread, thanks!

Does stuff actually get seen and fixed when posted on there or is it just a lot of people venting?

Happy to close this thread if you think it's only worth persevering on that now tv forum.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I see you’ve posted on the Now Tv Community, I note that one of the posters did indicate on 12 Dec that they had contacted the Now Tv Community manager. So the question has been asked  ?

personally I wouldn’t close the thread until you get a resolution or An indication that the Now Tv community thread has a path for resolution.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I think I have been having the same problems. Now TV App. Sometimes sounds extremely poor [not 5.1] and of late the bit rate is down to 4830? or something like that.

I too have the 5.1 surround add on and HD which usually comes through at around 7830?

Are you still having problems?  

0 Ratings