cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Now TV unavailable on copper broadband

Go to solution

I have a copper line, recently activated (actually still waiting, as there is a fault) in a property I have moved into. 

I was told on the phone, and when I look at my current package online, that NOW TV is not available to copper premises.

Is this a flat, categorical NO?

I've been using a 4G dongle at home for everything while I wait for the broadband to go live, and using that I have watched Netflix with no dropouts via the app on my TV, streamed sports on my iPad, and am using it to work on my laptop. 

If 4G can handle Netflix, surely a copper line can handle NOW TV channels - or have I massively overestimated the copper broadband speeds??

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Now TV unavailable on copper broadband

Go to solution

You can have NowTV directly from NowTV but not through BT. This is because BT TV is delivered by Multicast which isn't available on ADSL connections AFAIK... 

Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I was under the impression it was? My cabinet is listed as having ADSL multicast anyway. If I place an order for an additional line and follow it through (my cabinet is at capacity) it’ll let me buy ADSL with a connection up to 16mbs and add BT Sport and NowTV Entertainment. What it won’t let me do is add big sport or movies. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@NigelB72 

re: your comment about Multicast not being available on ADSL connections. I just checked the BT Wholesale Availability for my line, and it shows this:

Paul608085_0-1615493880393.png

My Downstream for ADSL2+ was given as "Up to 16.5", so maybe there is a cutoff speed that decides if NowTV is available from BT rather than merely the technology?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@Paul608085 

Same, mine shows ADSL Multicast as available, and ADSL2+ Downstream shows ‘Up To 21.5’

Who knows. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Ahhh ok. I wasn't aware Multicast was available on ADSL. I'd imagine that you're not being allowed to order due to line speed in that case. 16mbps should be sufficient for SD NowTV but won't be enough if you add the HD Boost. I'd imagine BT have to cover their backs and make sure that you are able to record two internet channels at once without running out of bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
A small number of multicast channels are available on copper - we call it MOCO (multicast over copper).
The way multicast works is that the combined bandwidth of all channels must be available at all times at the other end of your broadband connection (the exchange in your case), so that if customers connected to that same point each choose a different channel, they'll all work at the same time. On ADSL2+ lines, that capacity isn't available. Thus a smaller MOCO channel selection is available - I think it just provides BT Sport SD and AMC off the top of my head.
The multicast flag you're seeing is indicating the presence of this MOCO package.
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@DarrenDev 

Thanks for the explanation - very interesting.

Out of interest, how far along the line does multicasting work, is it right up to the home hub?

For example, I have the Extra Box in a bedroom along with the main TV box in the lounge. If both boxes are watching, say, BT Sport 1 HD on channel 430, are two versions carried on my line from the cabinet, one for each box? (I am on FTTC so I'm guessing that in my case the other end of my broadband connection is the cabinet?). Or is there a single feed of channel 430 right up to my Smart Hub 2 which both boxes sit across?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

It's multicast all the way to the BT TV box @Paul608085 - that's why people often see error IPC6023 when they're using local network equipment (e.g. routers, powerline adapters, wifi bridges) that doesn't support multicast.

So if 2 boxes are watching the same channel, only 1 feed is being streamed to the house, through the hub, and then sent to both boxes at the same time across the local network.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Darren, the Now Entertainment channels are also available but not sport, movies, HD or kids. 

0 Ratings