cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Now Tv Boost (through BT TV VIP) not working on Now TV black box or Roku express

Hi

I have the BT VIP package which includes the Sky cinema and sport with the boost (HD + 5.1 surround sound)

I wish to watch that on sky cinema  in surround sound in a separate room on a Now TV box where it connected to my AV surround sound receiver.

When I what sky cinema through an old black Now TV box or a brand new Roku express the Now Boost just does not seem to be recognised.  Nothing ever plays in 5.1 surround sound (only linear stereo) and I'm pretty sure its not in full 1080p either.   

Everything is fine on my BT youview box (in a different room) both from guide and from the Now app on the BT youview box.

It really is frustrating, it seems that the Now box simply doesn't recognise that I have Boost when it is paid for through BT.  (I have followed all the instruction on Now sight and have had a lengthy discussion on the Now community forum)

Can anyone else confirm that Now TV boost paid for through BT works (or otherwise) on the Now Box or Roku express?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Now Tv Boost (through BT TV VIP) not working on Now TV black box or Roku express

According to the NowTV FAQ's on their website, the Roku Express isn't compatible with HD Boost. So the issue is with the Roku device and not the NowTV service.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: Now Tv Boost (through BT TV VIP) not working on Now TV black box or Roku express

@NigelB72   Thanks for your reply.

Actually, that is not correct, Now Boost is compatible with the Roku Express.  As stated on the Now Website .  (unless you know of a different faq? )

Also, I have the same problem with the black Now box,  the account on the box says that I have Now Boost (managed by BT).  But playing any movie on the box does not trigger surround sound and I'm pretty sure its not in 1080p either.

As I don't have the same problem on the Now app on the Youview box, I'm assuming there is some problem with the box not recognising that I have boost.  I'm hoping somebody with similar hardware can verify or disprove my theory.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@expectingtofly yep you're right. Google pulled through an old faq that said it didn't...

We've got a Roku set-up but with a streaming stick+ and the 1080p works fine with that...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for the link, however I've had much discussion on that forum and googled/searched etc.  That is not a relevant post you have linked to.

I basically would like to know if anyone with Now Boost provided through BT has the Boost working on the Now TV Box and/or the Roku express.  I know it should work, and plenty have it working on these devices when they buy the boost pass directly from Now TV.   

I have tried all the technical changes you can make to both boxes with much discussion on that forum you have linked to, it simply doesn't work. 

I have talked to Now technical support and I have an open ticket with them, although I'm not expecting a very fast response. 

I am really suspicious that there is a problem with these boxes recognising the boost pass when it is provided through BT (as has happened previously on chromecast I see from a google search) 

So if anyone with the Boost pass through BT can prove or disprove my theory that would be really helpful.  Thank you.

[Edit, @NigelB72  sorry missed your other post, I see you have it working with a Roku+, ok that may disprove my theory]

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

The actual passes are added to your NowTV account so if it shows on your passes through the NowTV app and website, the pass is definitely active on the account. The only other thing I can think of is to check what speed your Roku is connected at because NowTV is very bandwidth heavy especially with 1080p 50fps . The HD Boost streams use almost as much bandwidth as UHD HDR on Netflix

0 Ratings