cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Now tv sky sports channels breaking up

Go to solution

Up until a few days ago Now TV Sky sports channels on our BT Youview box have been faultless. Now the channels are pixelated and break up (they are Internet channels). I'm not sure what is going on.

The BT sport and eurosport channels are working fine still. On original setup I remember I had to add firewall rules for the bt tv multicast IP ranges to get everything working, but no different setup was required for the now tv channels when we added them.

There is no problem with download speed and the box is hardwired not on WiFi so the connection is stable.

Can anyone advise on how to fix please? 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Now tv sky sports channels breaking up

Go to solution

After a lot of trial and error I've actually tracked the issue down to the unmanaged switch the Youview box is plugged into. There must be a higher bandwidth on the sky sports channels than the bt sports I guess and that's why the issue only occurs on them. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

The NowTV channels do use a fair ol' wack of bandwidth especially if you have the HD Boost. According to Sky they need a minimum of 12mbps but in reality, they're probably eating double that due to the compression they use. On the plus side, the picture quality is excellent.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Are we talking about NowTV channels via the EPG or the NowTV app, because I believe that they are transmitted differently. ISTR @DarrenDev telling me on these forums some time ago that the EPG versions are multicast and the app versions are unicast. I also seem to remember seeing somewhere that HD channels via the EPG on BTTV are encoded at around 15MBits, (with SD approx 5MBits and UHD arround 25MBits), though I stand to be corrected on this.

0 Ratings