cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

RIP BT TV

RIP BT TV, it was good while it lasted.

Well like others still on the original non Now TV Entertainment Max package I've received the dreaded email stating that essentially with the exception of BT Sport,  BT are withdrawing from the self supplied TV market and that to watch TV any time after 17 Jan 2022 I'll need to move to Now TV supplied by BT.  The shutdown starts on 31 October with the removal of popular channels such as National Geographic and Gold.

I'm paying BT approx £92 a month for tv including an extra box sub of £5, bt sport, 45mb fibre broadband, landline and a mobile.

When the TV goes to Now TV supplied by BT then frankly it is not good value for money.  Virgin have cabled the street  and I can get 1gb fibre,  hundreds of tv channels including BT sport in 4k and Sky Sport in HD, all the Sky movie channels in HD, 2 virgin tv boxes , landline with unlimited land line calls and an unlimited everything  mobile sim.  That goes up to  after 18 months but a new price can be negotiated and at least I'm not locked into a 24 month contract and can move elsewhere after 18 months.   Sky are also allegedly announcing a TV over IP service in next month or two which could prove interesting.

My current contract is up on 22 Feb so I can leave without penalty between 17th Jan and then. Really we should be allowed to leave from 30th Oct with no penalty as that's when the shutdown starts.

I've been with BT for almost 6 years, was with Talk Talk Youview for about 4 before that.  I really like the Youview platform and the TV product before BT started to chip away at it but since BT started outsourcing the TV product to Now TV  the overall offering now is simply not competitive at all.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: RIP BT TV

"My current contract is up on 22 Feb so I can leave without penalty between 17th Jan and then. Really we should be allowed to leave from 30th Oct with no penalty as that's when the shutdown starts."

From what I remember you can leave anytime up until 30 days after 17th Jan penalty free but only on the tv not the broadband

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: RIP BT TV

Well it looks like it really is a case of RIP BT TV if this story is true that BT are about to sell off their sports channels.  If that's true then that really is the end of the BT TV product.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021/09/22/dazn-bt-sport-deal-with-weeks/

0 Ratings