cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wonderfulu
Message 1 of 13

Sign a new contract or pay £6.95 if you don't?

I have recently received texts and emails telling me my free BT Sport will end unless I sign a new 1 year contract. If I don't I have been given one other option, I will pay £6.95 a month. NO OTHER OPTIONS. People who care don't make statements like the above, it sounds more like extortion. Where is the option in the communications you have sent so far to actually just not have BT Sport anymore. There are options within my BT account to add and remove other products but not BT Sport. 

12 REPLIES 12
Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Sign a new contract or pay £6.95 if you don't?

If you don't want BT Sports, then ring and cancel.
If you took BT Sports free with broadband last year, then BT are advising you what you need to do to continue. "extortion"......really?
cjcork
Message 3 of 13

I've had texts and emails which, I agree are a bit rude in tone.  Especially as our broadband is not about to expire so doesn't need renewing and our Broadband account is in my husband's name.  I don't even know how they got my mobile number.  I've tried numerous times to unsubscibe from BT Sport emails with no success.  Not a scam, just a really badly managed campaign and potentaily a breach of Data Protection Law.  Sort yourself out BT...

Oh and answer your **bleep** phones, call centre consistenly is engaged.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

@cjcork wrote:

I've had texts and emails which, I agree are a bit rude in tone.  Especially as our broadband is not about to expire so doesn't need renewing and our Broadband account is in my husband's name.  I don't even know how they got my mobile number.  I've tried numerous times to unsubscibe from BT Sport emails with no success.  Not a scam, just a really badly managed campaign and potentaily a breach of Data Protection Law.  Sort yourself out BT...

Oh and answer your **bleep** phones, call centre consistenly is engaged.

Good to see you've got your own back.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
ron101
Message 5 of 13

This seems to be a clear scam to get users to start a new broadband contract fron scratch locking then in to a further 12 (24 months). This is a change from the info at the launch of BT Sport when no mention was made of contracts or fixed time periods - we were simply told that BT Sport would be free for broadband customers. Anyway BT Sport is rubbish so I will be cancelling it and not renewing my BT broadband contract.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Sorry but at outset you needed to have 12 months left on your existng contract ot you needed to renew your contract for 12 months before you got bt sports for free.  There are numerous posts about this on the forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

@ron101 wrote:

This seems to be a clear scam to get users to start a new broadband contract fron scratch locking then in to a further 12 (24 months). This is a change from the info at the launch of BT Sport when no mention was made of contracts or fixed time periods - we were simply told that BT Sport would be free for broadband customers. Anyway BT Sport is rubbish so I will be cancelling it and not renewing my BT broadband contract.

That's nonsense. What imj says was clear at the time and if you didn't understand that you weren't reading it properly. True, there was no precise indication of what would happen 12 months later (ie now), but as it turns out there's not much difference - BTS is free as long as you have a minimum term BT Broadband contract. At the end of the contract you have 4 main choices - cancel BTS, keep BB on a 30-day basis and pay £6.95 a month for BTS, take out another BB contract and keep BTS for free, cancel BTBB. You've made your choice, and I hope your next provider's terms are clearer to you.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

That's all true nevertheless BT are a pain. Having negotiated a nice price for the next twelve months I decided to leave BTTV. I got Sky. I wanted BT Sports on Sky in order to transfer the service over I had to take out another 12 month contract even although I had renewed just a month before and was only transferring the way I viewed it. I thought that was a bit of an underhand sharp practice.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@stuartrogerson wrote:
That's all true nevertheless BT are a pain. Having negotiated a nice price for the next twelve months I decided to leave BTTV. I got Sky. I wanted BT Sports on Sky in order to transfer the service over I had to take out another 12 month contract even although I had renewed just a month before and was only transferring the way I viewed it. I thought that was a bit of an underhand sharp practice.

what is even worse is the last month of this new 12 month contract will be at standard terms as your deal will finish 1 month earlier - I posted about this before.  however when I did exactly the same as you Stuart I get an email confirming my 'deal' would apply to the full 12 months of my new contract.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Absolutely. Infuriating.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings