Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-PaddyB-
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Sports package, HD, and multi-room

Might be a bit of a convoluted one here, but here goes:

I've got BT broadband, and I'm now looking at my TV options. The only thing I'd really watch is sports, which is making me lean towards the BT Sport/Sky Sports combo packages. Initially I leant towards a Sky box, as my router isn't close to where my TV is, and I believe BT requires a connection between router and BT TV box?

However, I've since seen that the is some sort of wireless plug thing that can solve that issue. So with both options open, could anyone recommend the most efficient way of BT Sport and Sky Sports, as a HD packages, and preferably with a multi-room option to expand this to one other TV?  I read that I can get BT TV slightly discounted as I'm already a broadband customer, but does this also apply if it's simply a BT package added on to a Sky deal? 

I also live in a fairly old flat where my basic TV signal for freeview is pretty poor. Is there a check I can do to confirm that BT/Sky are even viable options for me?

I've tried to Google a lot of this, but getting a lot of mixed messages, so I'd appreciate the help.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Sports package, HD, and multi-room

You actually have 3 options.

1. BT TV

This has the Big Sport pack you refer to and the BT and Sky Sports channels would be delivered over your broadband to your YouView TV box which can also be plugged into a standard aerial (not a Sky dish), and give you access to the Freeview channels in your area.

As you have mentioned, this does rely on the quality of your aerial, but you can check the expected channels here: https://www.freeview.co.uk/help 

Your YouView boxes (yes you can have more than one to get the multiroom you desire at an extra monthly charge), will both need to connect to your BT Broadband router.

In your scenario probably the easiest way to do this is to use BT Mini Connectors to send the broadband signal from the router to the boxes over your home electrical wiring.

You can find out more about them here: https://www.bt.com/help/tv/getting-set-up/setting-up-bt-tv/bt-mini-connectors-for-bt-tv 

2. Sky

SkyQ is the only offering now and uses a satellite feed into a main box which then creates its own WiFi network to send the TV channels and recordings on your main box to SkyQ mini boxes to give you multiroom. If you have a Sky Sports and BT Sport subscription through Sky you can watch them on any SkyQ box in the home and through SkyGo.

You can get BT Sport on Sky through BT but it is much cheaper to get it directly via Sky. You do not need Sky broadband.

Make sure you call in the morning to get a deal rather than pay the website prices.

3. NOW TV & BT Sport apps

Take boxes and contracts out of the equation and just buy a BT Sport monthly pass and Sky Sports passes as needed and watch through a plug in device in both rooms such as NOW TV smart stick or Roku.

If you get the right device (Roku is the most flexible), you will also be able to access the main catch up players such as iPlayer, All4 and itv Hub so probably won’t miss the lack of full Freeview if you are happy not to record.

I hope this helps. 

zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

just be aware  that currently the BT Sport app is not on  Roku  own brand devices  although it has been provided on certain Now TV devices (that are powered by  Roku).

Coming soon I believe was the phase used . 

stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

Good point, I thought it had been released but hasn’t yet. A couple of NOW TV Smart Sticks will do the job and cost less than £50.

0 Ratings
-PaddyB-
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

That's an incredibly detailed response; thank you so much.

I think I'm leaning towards BT then as I've looked at the potential package I'd need and it all seems in order and affordable. However, I currently live in a block of three flats that I'm assuming share an aerial, but this aerial currently doesn't seem to be picking up HD channels on my TV, and other channels will drop out every now and then for a few seconds. Half my motivation for wanting this TV package is to make the most of the new 4K TV I've got, so when I'm processing my order would it be best to pay the £30 for a new aerial to be installed? I want to be sure that I'll have access to the HD/Ultra HD channels. Just not sure on the technicalities behind this, and if I'd have to get permission elsewhere to do it.

0 Ratings
-PaddyB-
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Bump. Wondering if anyone has any experience with BT putting up an antenna? This might be a completely thick question, but would it replace the old antenna, or can you have more than one on a roof and this one would just connect directly into my flat?

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

Probably a good idea to read

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/getting-set-up/setting-up-bt-tv/about-the-aerial-installation-service-fro...

How many stories high  is your property?

0 Ratings
-PaddyB-
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Thanks; I think I did give this page a read earlier. It's just one floor up and then the roof above that, and there's only three separate flats. I'm just assuming we all use the same aerial now, and would honestly have no idea whether a second antenna is possible. Do HD channels such as BT Sport HD come through the broadband as opposed to the aerial anyway? If so, does this differ from streaming? 

Sorry, obviously not all questions directed at you - just whoever may be able to help. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 12

Just a thought.

Do you currently have a Sky dish? if not, and assuming you are a tenant, then you may need your landlords permission to have one fitted

0 Ratings
-PaddyB-
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Yes, I'm pretty sure there is a Sky dish. Would this be needed even if I was accessing Sky through a BT TV box?

0 Ratings