Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Carlusha
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Subtitles for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing

Go to solution

Currently, I have everything BT and have done for many years now with the exception of BT TV. The original reason for this was the lack of subtitles on many of the "extra" channels. (By extra, those that are unavailable on Freeview).

Is there any way I can obtain up to date advice as to whether the situation has changed over the last few years?

For example, National Geographic, National Geographic Wild, Discovery, Animal Planet and History would be appreciated but are totally redundant when one is deaf.

I might even consider Sky Cinema and Netflix.

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Subtitles for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing

Go to solution
Carlusha
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks, not really but interesting nevertheless.

For example, watch "Secret Life of the Zoo" with the sound turned off. This is where subtitles come in otherwise it is a total waste of time watching.

I am sure BT show the subtitled programmes from the run-of-the-mill channels but I am more concerned with National Geographic and similar which are available with the BT TV subscription. The last time I was able to check at a friend's home, these informative programmes were not subtitled. However, that was some time ago and this friend has jumped ship.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Hi @Carlusha 

I think it would be each licensed channel  that would determine  whether they provide subtitles on any specific programme. Ofcom sets targets for channels it licences. Typically channels are required to achieve Ofcom targets but would have a number of years  to achieve that. Some channels would be exempted by OFCOM

This PDF link  from the OFCOM website

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/115359/channels-access-services-2019.pdf

gives an indication of what Ofcom expects this year (2019)

So if I interpret that OFCOM document correctly  National Geographic  this year would be included in Ofcom Level Three but Nat Geo Wild is not.

It is though the channels that are in Ofcom Level One list that would be expected to provide to meet Ofcom full requirements that would have substantial amounts of subtitled programming.