cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hooba
Contributor
Message 11 of 15

Re: Switching from Sky to BT

Yeah - happy to confirm that. And to give a reasonably detailed description of why I don't think BT have been done up like a kipper. Care to do the same to support your view?

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 15

Sure.

BT have been forced to drop their existing TV carriage deals (which includes channels such as W, TLC etc.) to enable this deal.

BT needed better access to the some of the Sky channels thats true, but chose to pay quite a price for it.

They have lost all of the other live TV content they provide apart from AMC (a channel barely anyone watches and some of the content is available on Prime Video), Freeview channels that pretty much anyone can get through their TV and BT Sport is now available through Virgin Media, Sky or via an app so you don’t need BT TV at all.

This deal is nothing like having Sky as you suggest, because they do have all of the channels BT had to lose plus they can now offer BT Sport, which is what I believe many of us existing BT TV customers thought this NOW TV deal would look like for BT, not what it turned out to be.

Anyone can access NOW TV content in HD with 5.1 sound, without a contract and for less money than you will pay BT, the only advantage is the channels appear in the EPG and are recordable. That is important to some people, not to others. The only thing we ever watch live is sport and I don’t need to record programmes with NOW TV because I can just watch, ad free on catch up. So why would I pay more for it?

Whatever changes Sky make in the future to NOW TV, BT is stuck with because apart from some sport, that’s all the extra live tv content they have. What happens if BT are outbid in the next rights round and lose sports content? What happens to NOW TV if Sky launch SkyX in the UK? 

I agree that this is all about shifting broadband and mobile contracts and as I have said, this strategy/offering will clearly be attractive to some, it just doesn’t seem a balanced deal to me.

Hooba
Contributor
Message 13 of 15

Thanks for taking the time to respond. So we agree - its about shifting phone and broadband contracts.

Perhaps where we differ is that nothing outside of Sky/NowTv sports, cinema, Sky One, Atlantic holds any value to me at all. I've always seen it as pointless filler that holds zero value, that I wouldn't pay a penny for. I only had the old BT 'classic' channels because they were in effect free alongside my BT Sport subscription. 

BT have been chasing access to the 'value' Sky channels for years - e.g. court battles to make Sky Sport available (footy at least) on the BT platform. Presumably because they 'think' it drives phone / broadband content. BT now have the lot (of the Sky 'value' channels).

Who has 'won'? Sky? BT? Looks like a score draw? Time will tell I guess.

NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 15

@Hooba Sky and BT win because I have stupidly fast internet from BT and the Sky channels from Sky that were ordinarily available due to not being able to have a Sky dish for my individual flat. We have a shared dish system that doesn't allow access to Sky Q. This way also enables me to be flexible with my packages should I choose. So the real winner is probably the consumer as it gives more choice. 

0 Ratings
Hooba
Contributor
Message 15 of 15

@NigelB72 I tend to agree - mutually beneficial to Sky and BT. Otherwise why do the deal?  And 100% agree that the consumer wins on choice.

0 Ratings