Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GPDW1
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Switching from Sky to BT

Hello All,

I'm (finally) ditching Sky - and am looking at the channels that I can cover off by getting BT TV instead. The one and only channel that the wife has insisted we keep is W, so she can watch MasterChef Australia (ok, I admit it, I watch it too).

It seems that W only is in the 'classic' package - but that would mean I'd need to get the classic and entertainment packages to get the channels I want (without going up to the VIP package). Can anyone confirm that W isn't included in the standard entertainment package?

Many thanks - and hope you're all staying safe!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Switching from Sky to BT

The only channels in the entertainment pack are the ones on NowTV and Freeview. Also, you can't have a NowTV pack and the classic pack unfortunately. 

0 Ratings
GPDW1
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Ah thanks for this - bit frustrating! I would've bitten the bullet and paid for both if I could (and that was the only way) - seems a dumb decision to not make it an option from BT
0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

@GPDW1 I think it's more of a restriction put in place by Sky/Comcast. Reading between the lines, Sky/Comcast seem to be streamlining their own products by some premium channels if they can't get good enough terms while strengthening the NowTV channel lineup with their own content. NowTV/BT could be a test bed for or a version of Sky X which has had a limited launch in a couple of European countries... 

stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

@GPDW1wrote:
Ah thanks for this - bit frustrating! I would've bitten the bullet and paid for both if I could (and that was the only way) - seems a dumb decision to not make it an option from BT

The other option is to take the Classic Entertainment pack (which includes W), and then supplement it by buying passes for NOW TV directly from them (often at a discount), albeit you would need to watch all NOW TV content via the app on the BT TV box rather than from within the normal TV Guide.

So you can pay for both, but not have both accessible via the TV Guide at the same time due to the way the BT/Sky deal seems to have been structured (as mentioned by @NigelB72 ).

Depending on your point of view, this new BT TV is either brilliant or Sky doing them up like a kipper. I'm in the latter camp, but you can still work around it as above currently. How long that will last is up for debate. 

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

@stereohaven I look at it as keep your friends close but your enemies closer

stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

@NigelB72wrote:

@stereohaven I look at it as keep your friends close but your enemies closer

Relying on a major competitor for a huge proportion of your live TV and related catch up content is never going to end well. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never dealt with Sky at a commercial level. 😆

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

@stereohaven sky are a slightly different beast now that the parasitic previous owners have gone and Comcast have taken full ownership. Not having Sky's channels was holding BT TV back and the majority of worthwhile channels are either part of Sky/Comcasts portfolio or part of an exclusive long term arrangement. It'll be interesting to see if Virgin Media start losing some channels when carriage deals come up for renewal. 

0 Ratings
Hooba
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

It's not about the TV. It's about BT getting people to sign up to phone, broadband, and hopefully mobile too. You have to wonder how many 24 month contracts BT have shifted since the NowTV packages launched. The BT / NowTV deal is fantastic for BT. And its pretty good for consumers too. It's pretty much full blown Sky - but the monthly flexibility to pick and choose want you want. But it's only for the NowTV packages where there's any flex - you can't flex any other part of the 24 month contract and that's where BT are making their money. I don't know, but I doubt BT are making much off NowTV subscriptions. But that was never the point. The point was market share for phone/broadband/mobile. And chucking in full HD Sky, 5.1 audio, recordable, through an EPG, with a lot of flexibility, is a pretty compelling offer. It's probably more compelling than AMC and a few other odds and sods.

If that's BT done up like a kipper, then fair enough. 

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

You are just confirming what I said earlier, you either think it’s great or you don’t. You do, I don’t.

0 Ratings