cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Haribo
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

The press have finally started reporting the need to switch to infinity for sky sports.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jun/27/bt-vision-pay-tv-sky-sports

They say customers are "expressing outrage."

But then they reveal an absolutely incredible figure that analysts think that only 30,000, that's 4%, of BT's Tv customers take sky sports.

Seems a bit low to me.

But they actually start linking to and quoting from this forum. I wonder if we will get a big influx of users.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: The press have finally started reporting the need to switch to infinity for sky sports.

Really? Sports was never a reason to buy BTVision.
So if you read the article then they estimate 15,000 people will lose Sky Sports out of 875,000 subscribers.
A few may be "outraged"
I can find a lot more to be outraged by than TV.
Oh wait a minute 875,000 now have FREE access to 3 Sports Channels .....

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Re: The press have finally started reporting the need to switch to infinity for sky sports.

@stuartrogerson wrote:
Really? Sports was never a reason to buy BTVision.
So if you read the article then they estimate 15,000 people will lose Sky Sports out of 875,000 subscribers.
A few may be "outraged"
I can find a lot more to be outraged by than TV.
Oh wait a minute 875,000 now have FREE access to 3 Sports Channels .....

Well I actually agree with you.

BT have done the right thing in putting their own sports channels on the DTT slots.

I did wonder why BT were prepared to alienate so many but it turns out there aren't that many. And apparently anyone losing the sky sports will be given 6 months free broadband and a years free BT Sport. Fair play for that.

I just cannot believe that figure is so low at 30,000. That actually means that BT's huge advertising campaign in 2010 about sky sports was probably loss making. They probably haven't even made back what they spent. I can't think why that would be though because even on Virgin there is a 20% SS take up.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

Perhaps people are just losing interest in sports, it is just another big business.

0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

@Bob1001 wrote:

Perhaps people are just losing interest in sports, it is just another big business.

I don't think they are losing interest in sport but I think that in the current economic climate, it is one of the things that really is considered a luxury.

Plus i suspect that there are many people using their superfast broadband connections to stream games illegally.

It is the comparison between BT and virgin that is interesting. 4% vs 20%.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

I can think of two reasons why not many Vision customers were subscribing to Sky Sports:

1. A lot of people moved to Vision from Sky because they didn't want to pay the high prices Sky charge, having moved they found they could do without their sports channels too.

2. Following the phone hacking scandal and revelations of Murdoch's cosy relationships with UK Governments people have decided they don't want to support a corrupt company anymore.

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

Agreed 1

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

@cooperman wrote:
I can think of two reasons why not many Vision customers were subscribing to Sky Sports:

1. A lot of people moved to Vision from Sky because they didn't want to pay the high prices Sky charge, having moved they found they could do without their sports channels too.

2. Following the phone hacking scandal and revelations of Murdoch's cosy relationships with UK Governments people have decided they don't want to support a corrupt company anymore.

Could be true.

But it begs an obvious question:

If only 4% were interested in sky sports, how many will be interested in BT Sport?

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

That's a very good question Haribo and I'm sure BT are hoping it will be many more.

I suspect BT are hoping they have gauged the market right and will attract many Sky Sports subscribers with their offer of "Free sport" but only time will tell.
0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

@cooperman wrote:
That's a very good question Haribo and I'm sure BT are hoping it will be many more.

I suspect BT are hoping they have gauged the market right and will attract many Sky Sports subscribers with their offer of "Free sport" but only time will tell.

I wonder if BT have given too much credence to the popularity of SS.

It could be that all the serious sports fans pay for it on sky and that BT's market is more the casual entertainment viewer.

The head of talktalk said that their most watched VOD content was Peppa Pig and as such that was their audience and they weren't going to push sports.

It is concerning that despite having ESPN for years and having full delayed EPL rights for years, and then SS for years, BT has not really grown it's user base significantly and only got 30,000 SS subscriptions.

As you say, they must be hoping that the sky sports crowd will either switch or want both.

0 Ratings