Message 1 of 9

Top 14 Rugby

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
10tus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Top 14 Rugby

What were BT thinking in only having the top14 option for 1 year! It is one of the best competitions to watch. Internationals of the highest quality playing in one of the toughest competitions. What a loss!
0 Ratings
RJ414i
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Agree, big loss. 

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

It halves the reason for having BT sport for any rugby fan. A massive loss and maybe a reason to switch to Sky for some as BT sport can be had on the Sky box but not vice versa.
0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Just my view but don't you think BT have been looking at viewing figures for Aviva Rugby and the Top 14 competition. I'm an avid rugby fan and watch most if not all of the Aviva games, that cannot be said for the Top 14 league, never watched a game. If I'm typical BT will save the cash and use for other sporting rights. Mind you if they loose the Aviva in 2 years time then BT TV would not be an option for me and Sky here I come. Hope this doesn't occur though!
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

I agree they may well have been looking at the figures but it may well have been their intention to have always ditched it once the contract to ESPN ended. Maybe they didn't even bid to renew it. Like you, certainly at the moment, I would rather stay with BT as the overall bundle I have suits me. Loss of the Aviva would definitely demand a rethink though, assuming it could be seen elsewhere.
0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Agree. And the new person in charge of BT TV has been poached from Sky. BT have lease on studio for 10 years, this move into Sport and internet channels has improved the profit for BT so on that basis it's a success. Can't see them bailing out now in fact I can see them extending theit move into football and other sports and widening their non sport TV selection. The profit BT make can blow a Sky out of the water if they wish to go for the kill. Why are a Sky now pushing the " We are more then sport" slim from a company that is worried and knows it cannot compete with BT financially.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
RobSmithS
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

@cooperman wrote:
I agree they may well have been looking at the figures but it may well have been their intention to have always ditched it once the contract to ESPN ended. 

Fairly sure the Top14 rights were not to do with ESPN. Top 14 was on Premier Sports 2012/13 and BT this season (2013/14) and BT owned the rights those 2 seasons but subcontracted them to Premier Sports 2012/13 as BT's own channels were not launched until Aug 1st 2013.

Could it be that Top 14 is less of interest to BT as they have added the top choice English club picks from next year for the European club competetition? There's a good chance that both Sky and BT put in offers but Sky's looked better to the Ligue Nationale de Rugby! Sky also patching over some losses (AP, new EC) with P12 and T14.

Main point though is that any T14 contract with ESPN UK ended 2011/12.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

No Jonny wilkinson...that will cut the interest for some people...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27467391

I know its not about one person but it does add to the watchability...

0 Ratings