cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Telboy62
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 54

Re: Trying to cancel BT Sport in the cooling off period?

At the time the contract was triggered, i.e when you sign up for BT Sport you automatically trigger a new 12 month broadband contract.BT obviously did not know they were dealing with the op's 15 year old son and they had no reason to check. The op was already a Sky customer by this point.

Do you seriously suggest that BT would knowingly do this?

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 42 of 54

@Telboy62 wrote:

At the time the contract was triggered, i.e when you sign up for BT Sport you automatically trigger a new 12 month broadband contract.BT obviously did not know they were dealing with the op's 15 year old son and they had no reason to check. The op was already a Sky customer by this point.

Do you seriously suggest that BT would knowingly do this?

I doubt they would knowingly do it. But the point is they know now and are still trying to demand this money.

But it just goes to show how poor their systems of checking are. Anyone in your home, be they your child, babysitter or anyone else can just ring Bt on your landline and get you into a contract without your knowledge or permission.

Does that strike you as a reasonable situation? Why aren't Bt asking for some kind of account password or at least direct debit details or something. 

Your surely don't mean it when you say "they had no reason to check." They were entering someone into a 12 month contract worth at least £180. They had every reason to check.

0 Ratings
NuttyTart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 54

Tellboy

Where is it written "when you sign up for BT Sport you automatically trigger a new 12 month broadband contract"

Look forward to seeing this!!!

Th OP now has two contracts...one with Sky and on with BT.  Syk will have a claim against the OP because of the verbal contract she entered into.

People tie knots with their tongue they can't until with their teeth.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 44 of 54

@NuttyTart wrote:

As your BT infinity contract had ended and BT Sport was ordered 3 days before the end of your contract, that means that taking BT Sport commences a new contract..........hmmm!!!

Did they say what the £180 was for???........Ask for a written explanation of the stance and a break down of the figure they want.  Also ask for a copy of the tape or a written copy of the tape content (not redacted) that they are relying on.  Give them 14 day to reply in writing.

If you sign up for the free offer of BT Sport on either Sky or BT Vision, then that requires that you also agree to a minimum 12 month contract on your broadband.  If you already have more than 12 months remaining, then it makes no difference.

The only way you can get BT Sport without the extra contract is via the web or mobile apps.

0 Ratings
NuttyTart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 54

Where is it written on the net that a new contract is commenced when taking BT Sport? Show your source.

I was NOT informed when they gave me the BT TV , BT Sport Pack that the taking of it commenced a new 12 month contract! 

0 Ratings
aliciajane04
Beginner
Message 46 of 54

spoke with BT tonight again and they have informed me that they accept that it was my son that ordered BT Sport as they've listened to the recording.

In their view it doesn't matter who ordered it. As long as it's called from my number which they trace and have the viewing card then your good to go.

You dont have to give the account number or password!! What's the point of having one?

All my son had to say was that he was my husband and they ordered the product!

It doesn't really matter what you think of my parenting skills or the behaviour of my child. I get back to my original point.

BT should only take orders from the account holder with their password!

BT are at it and they know it. Their manager on the call more or less admitted it.

They called tonight funny enough with our MAC code but still want their £180........

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 47 of 54

Nuttytart. Here are the t's & c's:

BT Sport - UK residential broadband customers only. BT broadband customers can watch BT Sport online at home with a minimum line speed of 400kbps. To watch BT Sport online elsewhere you need 3G/4G/wifi (charges may apply). To watch BT Sport at btsport.com you need Microsoft Silverlight. The BT Sport App works on iPhone (3GS and above), iPad (iOS 5.1.1 and above) & selected Android devices with OS 4.1. Max. 2 devices simultaneously. BT Sport is also available on BT TV for new and existing broadband customers who sign up for 12 months or have 12 months remaining on their contract; ongoing renewal needed to get discounted BT Sport. Sport on BT TV requires compatible box from BT - fee £49-£299 may apply. BT TV customers without BT Infinity will need to order & pay for a viewing card by phone from 1 Aug; allow ten days for delivery. e-billing required. BT Sport is free for new and existing customers. BT Broadband for new customers from £10 a month (plus line rental £15.45 a month). Terms apply.

Alicia. I hope you get this sorted, this is a complete mess and common sense should prevail on both sides.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 48 of 54

@DaveBaines wrote:

Nope. BT, in order to get this cancelation fee, must prove that the contract exists. 

Good luck with that. They are just going to make themselves look incredibly greedy and petty if they pursue it.

They are totally in the wrong here to try and enforce a contract that they know was done by a 15 year old. 

They don't know it. They only know that the OP, who may be lying, claims it was a 15 year old. The caller may have been her husband or could actually be 18.

You're assuming she's told nothing but the truth here, like others I think that's unlikely.

MartinH
Expert
Message 49 of 54

@aliciajane04 wrote:

spoke with BT tonight again and they have informed me that they accept that it was my son that ordered BT Sport as they've listened to the recording.

In their view it doesn't matter who ordered it. As long as it's called from my number which they trace and have the viewing card then your good to go.

You dont have to give the account number or password!! What's the point of having one?

All my son had to say was that he was my husband and they ordered the product!

It doesn't really matter what you think of my parenting skills or the behaviour of my child. I get back to my original point.

BT should only take orders from the account holder with their password!

BT are at it and they know it. Their manager on the call more or less admitted it.

They called tonight funny enough with our MAC code but still want their £180........

So you brought up a liar.  Make him pay the termination fee and hope he learns the lesson that dishonesty is always found out eventually.

Unless you want him to think lying and cheating is acceptable? 

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 50 of 54

@NuttyTart wrote:

Where is it written on the net that a new contract is commenced when taking BT Sport? Show your source.

I was NOT informed when they gave me the BT TV , BT Sport Pack that the taking of it commenced a new 12 month contract! 

See The legal stuff here: http://www.bt.com/sport/

" BT Sport is also available on BT TV for new and existing broadband customers who sign up for 12 months or have 12 months remaining on their contract; ongoing renewal needed to get discounted BT Sport."

0 Ratings