cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Telboy62
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 54

Re: Trying to cancel BT Sport in the cooling off period?

So, basically you did not want to actually be a BT customer at all then? and YOUR son ordered BT Sport with YOUR Sky card?

I really cant get my head around you trying to blame BT for this. Anyway, i have wasted enough time on this Bye.

telboy.

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 54

@aliciajane04 wrote:
No the fault is BT's they shouldn't accept orders from children that are not the account holder.

My child is a very well educated individual who's has never given a moments bother. This is a minor indiscretion.

Not sure I'm happy with you using the word "apparently"? Are you accusing me of being a liar? And also accusing us of being bad parents??

Very gentlemanly of you Martin, are always so negative of youth and parenting??

BT cannot enforce this contract. Contracts made with minors are null and void. BT are entirely responsible. Seek legal advice and this contract will be terminated.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 13 of 54

@aliciajane04 wrote:
No the fault is BT's they shouldn't accept orders from children that are not the account holder.

My child is a very well educated individual who's has never given a moments bother. This is a minor indiscretion.

Not sure I'm happy with you using the word "apparently"? Are you accusing me of being a liar? And also accusing us of being bad parents??

How are BT to know that it was your child calling? Did they ask him his age? Who and how old does he claim to be in the phone call that was recorded?

How is BT responisble for the fact that your child decided it was ok for him to meddle in the affairs of adults and order something in your name wihout your permission?  

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 54

@MartinH wrote:

@aliciajane04 wrote:

How are BT to know that it was your child calling? Did they ask him his age? Who and how old does he claim to be in the phone call that was recorded?

How is BT responisble for the fact that your child decided it was ok for him to meddle in the affairs of adults and order something in your name wihout your permission?  

Those questions don't really matter for the resolution of this.

BT are not able to enforce a contract made with a minor. The End.

The 15 year old shouldn't have rang (but then the advert said free so how would he know he was doing anything wrong) and BT shouldn't recontract people without evidence that they are speaking to the account holder.

But ultimately, the important legal point is that the contract cannot exist. The OP can get this voided very easily, and cause a huge embarrassment for BT in the process.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 15 of 54

@DaveBaines wrote:

BT cannot enforce this contract. Contracts made with minors are null and void. BT are entirely responsible. Seek legal advice and this contract will be terminated.

How are BT supposed to know it was a child? Who did the caller claim to be? It's highly unlikely they called up, said they were a minor and that they wanted to place an order without the account holder's permission.

But yes, the OP could ask a Judge to rule that their child was the culprit and the contract void. There's no better use of our courts than correcting the behaviour of a child who should know better and a parent incapable to accepting the consequences of not setting firm boundaries. 

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 16 of 54

@DaveBaines wrote:

The 15 year old shouldn't have rang (but then the advert said free so how would he know he was doing anything wrong) and BT shouldn't recontract people without evidence that they are speaking to the account holder.

But ultimately, the important legal point is that the contract cannot exist. The OP can get this voided very easily, and cause a huge embarrassment for BT in the process.

Bull **bleep**.

The OP would need to convince a court that it was the child who made the call and placed the order.  So the information in the call and the way the caller presented themselves would be very much relevant.

As for embarrassing BT, most folk would consider it the parent of the child who should be ashamed for not ensuring he knew not to meddle.  He hardly did it by accident. 

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 54

@MartinH wrote:

@DaveBaines wrote:

How are BT supposed to know it was a child? Who did the caller claim to be? It's highly unlikely they called up, said they were a minor and that they wanted to place an order without the account holder's permission.

But yes, the OP could ask a Judge to rule that their child was the culprit and the contract void. There's no better use of our courts than correcting the behaviour of a child who should know better and a parent incapable to accepting the consequences of not setting firm boundaries. 

All of the above is unnecessary.

The OP is asking here how they can sort this and get out of the contract. I am simply telling them that the contract is not enforceable. If they seek legal advice then the contract will be voided. 

Pretty much end of thread, don't you think.

0 Ratings
Telboy62
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 54

Sorry Davebaines, but there is more to this than we are being told. I would love to hear this call.

The op is a Sky customer with a Sky viewing card and by her own admission was previously a BT infinity customer.

Any savvy 15 year old could quite easily do this with access to the proper info, with or without the parents knowledge.

Telboy.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 19 of 54

@DaveBaines wrote:

All of the above is unnecessary.

The OP is asking here how they can sort this and get out of the contract. I am simply telling them that the contract is not enforceable. If they seek legal advice then the contract will be voided. 

Pretty much end of thread, don't you think.

Except that's not true. Just asking for legal advice doesn't void a contract. Only a coourt can void a contract one party refuses to cancel and for a court to do that the OP would need to convince it that it was their child who placed the order. 

Even that's not guaranteed to have the contract voided, a judge could rule that the child was acting for or under the instruction of the parent. 

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 54

@MartinH wrote:

@DaveBaines wrote:

Bull **bleep**.

The OP would need to convince a court that it was the child who made the call and placed the order.  So the information in the call and the way the caller presented themselves would be very much relevant.

As for embarrassing BT, most folk would consider it the parent of the child who should be ashamed for not ensuring he knew not to meddle.  He hardly did it by accident. 

It would have no relevance whatsoever. The  15 year old could grow a moustache, put on a suit and go out and make contracts with a hundred companies.

Every single contract would be unenforceable. That is just how it is. 

The parenting of the OP is quite frankly none of our business and discussion of it won't help resolve this.

Perhaps if BT didn't keep falsely claiming "FREE!" in all their adverts then 15 year olds wouldn't think they could do this without consequences.

0 Ratings