cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Telboy62
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 54

Re: Trying to cancel BT Sport in the cooling off period?

Sky must hold some responsibilty here too btw. I would have thought that they should have some kind of verification system in place to stop any Tom, **bleep** or 15 year old ordering services using THEIR viewing card number.

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 54

@Ectophile wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@DaveBaines wrote:

By the way, I don't think the contract even needs to be voided. It doesn't exist. It cannot exist. And BT now know this because the OP has told them.

The OP may not be telling the whole truth. Even if they are, just stating "oh, no the caller was under 16" isn't enough to have a contract set aside by a company. What company could operate like that? 

They may have to prove it was the child, as they would if it went to court. 

That should be fairly easy.

If BT presents a recording of the call, then the OP should very easily be able to show that (1) it wasn't the account holder who made the call, and (2) the person who did make the call was the OP's child, who is under 18, and therefore the contract is not enforceable by BT.

If BT cannot present a recording of the call, then they will have great difficulty proving that any contract was entered into by anybody.

I am of the belief that contracts should still require a written signature. 

It is alarming how easiy it would be for people to enter contracts on behalf of others just by ringing up and having a few details.

BT should be sorting this out for the OP without question. It isn't likely that someone would make this up. And Bt aren't exactly desperate for customers for this new sports venture. There seems to be no common sense in these things any more.

0 Ratings
Telboy62
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 54

@Telboy62 wrote:

Sky must hold some responsibilty here too btw. I would have thought that they should have some kind of verification system in place to stop any Tom, **bleep** or 15 year old ordering services using THEIR viewing card number.

Ha Ha. Cant belive i got bleeped out for saying D!ck. Its a mans name, certainly in this context it was.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 34 of 54

@Ectophile wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@DaveBaines wrote:

By the way, I don't think the contract even needs to be voided. It doesn't exist. It cannot exist. And BT now know this because the OP has told them.

The OP may not be telling the whole truth. Even if they are, just stating "oh, no the caller was under 16" isn't enough to have a contract set aside by a company. What company could operate like that? 

If BT presents a recording of the call, then the OP should very easily be able to show that (1) it wasn't the account holder who made the call, and (2) the person who did make the call was the OP's child, who is under 18, and therefore the contract is not enforceable by BT.

If BT cannot present a recording of the call, then they will have great difficulty proving that any contract was entered into by anybody.

BT has apparently given the OP a recording. 

And everything you've said above agrees with my earlier statement that it's for the OP to do the proving in order to be released from the contract their child apparently entered into. 

And proving it is a lot more involved than calling BT and saying "No, I've never taught my child right from wrong which is why he does these things'.

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 54

@MartinH wrote:

@Ectophile wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@DaveBaines wrote:

And everything you've said above agrees with my earlier statement that it's for the OP to do the proving in order to be released from the contract their child apparently entered into. 

And proving it is a lot more involved than calling BT and saying "No, I've never taught my child right from wrong which is why he does these things'.

The bit in bold is completely false. The onus is entirely on BT to prove that a contract exists. They can't. 

So as long as the OP takes the appropriate steps (I think a letter from the CAB to BT would probably do the job) then they will not have to pay this.

OP you may also want to contact the regulatory bodies involved (is it ofcom?) and a consumer action programme such as watchdog. Make sure people are aware of this.

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 54

AliciaJane04, you may want to drop a complaint to these guys:

http://www.ispa.org.uk/consumers/complaints-procedure/

Once you file a complaint, BT will have to respond within a certain period. 

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 37 of 54

@DaveBaines wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@Ectophile wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@DaveBaines wrote:

The bit in bold is completely false. The onus is entirely on BT to prove that a contract exists. They can't. 

So as long as the OP takes the appropriate steps (I think a letter from the CAB to BT would probably do the job) then they will not have to pay this.

OP you may also want to contact the regulatory bodies involved (is it ofcom?) and a consumer action programme such as watchdog. Make sure people are aware of this.

BS.BT have a call from someone placing the order, the OP has to show it's not them or their husband and they coould well have to go all the way to court in order to prove it's their child.

But perhaps the OP is the sort who would rather appear on BBC Watchdog explaining how the child knows no limits than simply pay the bill he incurred for her. 

0 Ratings
NuttyTart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 54

Hello Aliciajane

Okay....

1)      Your BT infinity contract had run out...

2)      You verbally cancelled your BT contract

3)      You have entered into a verbal contract with Sky

4)      Why didn’t Sky get the MAC reference for you as you had agreed to a contract with them??

5)      You claim BT want £180 for 3 days BT Sport -  that’s more than excessive for 3 days???

6)      Before doing any transaction BT ask callers if they are the account holder and for the account number.  If it wasn’t you who phoned, then your son must have said he was the account holder and given them your account number....BT can’t do anything without the account number!!...naughty boy.

7)      Ask BT for a copy of the recording or a transcript of the conversation not redacted.

😎      Line 6 of your post:- Of course we denied this and said we had not ordered “  

9)      Line 10 of your post:- “I mailed BT 3 days later to cancel my order within the cooling period”

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 54

@MartinH wrote:

@DaveBaines wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@Ectophile wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@DaveBaines wrote:

BS.BT have a call from someone placing the order, the OP has to show it's not them or their husband and they coould well have to go all the way to court in order to prove it's their child.

But perhaps the OP is the sort who would rather appear on BBC Watchdog explaining how the child knows no limits than simply pay the bill he incurred for her. 

Nope. BT, in order to get this cancelation fee, must prove that the contract exists. 

Good luck with that. They are just going to make themselves look incredibly greedy and petty if they pursue it.

They are totally in the wrong here to try and enforce a contract that they know was done by a 15 year old. 

0 Ratings
NuttyTart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 54

As your BT infinity contract had ended and BT Sport was ordered 3 days before the end of your contract, that means that taking BT Sport commences a new contract..........hmmm!!!

Did they say what the £180 was for???........Ask for a written explanation of the stance and a break down of the figure they want.  Also ask for a copy of the tape or a written copy of the tape content (not redacted) that they are relying on.  Give them 14 day to reply in writing.

0 Ratings