Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 40

Re: WHY IS BT SPORT FREE--BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR A 10-00 FEE FOR CARD

@Telboy62 wrote:

Dave, i know you have a bee in your bonnet about this, so here's my tuppenceworth.

Well, no, I don't have a bee in my bonnet. This doesm't affect me in the slightest as I have a sky subscription and happily watch BT through my sky box with no additional costs. I am just giving my opinion, like you are. It happens to differ from yours. i hope you can deal with that without having to start using phrases like "you have a bee in your bonnet."

BT say Sport is free with BT Broadband, and IT IS.

Actually it is inclusive, But yes it costs nothing to watch online, but I don't think that is made clear enough.

If someone chooses to join BT TV for all the other services it offers, as well as sports, you cant expect that to be free as well.

What if they just want sports?

You dont "pay" for the box. You pay a one off activation fee of £49, a one off delivery charge of £6.95 (mine was anyway a year ago) and the box becomes your property as long as you fulfil the 12 month contract you willingly entered into.

£49 plus potentially £10 for a card plus £5 per month is not free. Especially if someone only wants the sport.

Ok i agree, if we're being pedantic, its not absolutely free to watch on tv, but i joined BT 1 year ago, i have 2 sports channels i didn't have before, i can watch ESPN on my laptop, which i couldn't do before, and my bill has not gone up by 1 penny.

I'm happy with that.

Telboy.

I am happy too. Some people aren't. I respect their views.

0 Ratings
andy_247
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 40

2 things here - obviously it is free. Essentially if you have BT broadband, then BT have a mechanism for watching it free - online through the app or website. You can even plug your computer into your TV and watch it on your tv that way. Obviously there are other ways to watch it, like through the BTTV service but you have pay for this service. You're paying for that service not BT sport.

That said, I do find it curious that BT are not plugging their TV service more - all the marketing seems to focus on either the app or watching via Sky. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to plug BTTV more - maybe even ditch the £49 activation charge for a while. If BT got their TV service up to 3million subscribers quickly, Sky would definitely take notice.
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 40

The tv service costs £5 a month! If they give away a box and activation free that's worth £200 in the shops it would be throwing money away.

Bt vision is not BTs aim with sport at all, it's just stopping broadband customers going to sky. You've already noticed there not plugging it in there advertisements
0 Ratings
andy_247
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 40

That's true, it is all about broadband at the moment - but in the long term channelling TV down fibre is the future. It wouldn't surprise me if in 10-15 years time that Sky weren't putting up dishes at all anymore.
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 40

Interestingly I see Sky are now offering free broadband to new Sky Sports subscribers. So they have certainly taken notice of BT's sport launch.

spudhead
Message 26 of 40

2READ THE HEADLINE VERY CAREFULLY---NO MENTION OF ON LINE .......IT SAYS  "BT SPORT IS FREE WITH BT BROADBAND AND BT INFINITY BROADBAND"--------AND AS I HAVE BT BROADBAND (CANT GET INFINITY DUE TO LACK OF IT IN AREA)--I EXPECT IT TO BE FREE...VERY MISLEADING ..

0 Ratings
spudhead
Message 27 of 40

INFINITY IS NOT IN ALL AREAS--READ THEIR HEADLINE---

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 40

This thread is a replay of the conversations I'm having with a relative about BT Sport - why is it that males in their 60s get so pedantic?

'It says free on the adverts but they want £10 for a card so it isn't free. They should be reported to trade descriptions'

'It's called BT TV so it should be free on my TV, not on a PC. Who wants to watch TV on a computer?'

He also refuses to chase up his missing viewing card 'on principle' - 'they told me they have my order when I spoke to them 2 months ago, I'm not chasing them'.

Etc etc
Tadge
Message 29 of 40

OK! The way i see it is,that BT Sports isnt free,you still have to pay,line rental,and broadband fee,so technically that doesnt make it free,also i have a Sky box,but i cant get BT Sports,i take it i have to have BT broadband for that,and anyone that has BT Sports are gonna be in for a surprise,if not by the start of the next football season,then certainly by the starty of 2015-16,when BT will no longer be offering BT Sports for free if you have broadband,how else are they gonna get their money back for the Champions League,and Europa League.

Its all very saying they are having things online for free,but once the Champions League/Europa League starts,BT will find a way of getting money for that by making it,a Premium Channel,not just on PC,but also TV only accessible if you make a card payment,so by this,anyone who has BT will be paying for the Sports channels,plus broadband,add to that Champions League football,and with the line rentals.......Rather you than me,i'll stick with Sky you know where you are with them,just saying!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 40

I have not seen anything in press that says BT are going to charge for BT sports - if you have something then can you posta link please - or is it pure guesswork?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings