cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 31 of 40

Re: WHY IS BT SPORT FREE--BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR A 10-00 FEE FOR CARD

imj's question is pertinent - have you got any info or are you just flying a kite? If it does turn out that BT charge for Champions League coverage (or any other part of BTTV for that matter) they will no longer be able to describe it as free. End of.

I see the semantics of whether the existing product should be described as free are still going strong, and I suppose it depends on how paranoid you are about BT as a company. Suffice to say that if BT's use of the word is a deadly sin so are supermarkets' "Buy One Get One Free", the free gift you get if you show interest in buying a funeral from Michael Parkinson, all those free child places on offer for booking a holiday early, in fact pretty much anything that any company claims to be free.

Don't just BOGOF, look below the headlines and get on with it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 40

@pottyperson wrote:

imj's question is pertinent - have you got any info or are you just flying a kite? If it does turn out that BT charge for Champions League coverage (or any other part of BTTV for that matter) they will no longer be able to describe it as free. End of.

I see the semantics of whether the existing product should be described as free are still going strong, and I suppose it depends on how paranoid you are about BT as a company. Suffice to say that if BT's use of the word is a deadly sin so are supermarkets' "Buy One Get One Free", the free gift you get if you show interest in buying a funeral from Michael Parkinson, all those free child places on offer for booking a holiday early, in fact pretty much anything that any company claims to be free.

Don't just BOGOF, look below the headlines and get on with it.

You don't have to be paranoid about BT as a company to believe that the "free" sport offer isn't free. It patently isn't.

I couldn't be happier as a BT customer. I have infinity, youview, the extra channels in HD and BT sport. It all works great and having the sport included (for now at least) is brilliant.

But it isn't free.

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 40

@imjolly wrote:

I have not seen anything in press that says BT are going to charge for BT sports - if you have something then can you posta link please - or is it pure guesswork?

The head of BT sport went on the TV and radio in November 2013, after the CL rights announcement, and clearly said that there would be a charge for it. He said it would be "not as much as people are paying now" for champions league.

Now the exact details of this aren't known. They may keep the basic BT sport service included with broadband and then had some stuff like CL on a premium channel.

Personally I think they will just charge a nominal fee, 5 or 6 quid say, for the sport. It all depends on how many people have BT sport activated on Bt broadband by then and the economies of scale.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 40

Strange i never saw or heard anything about the announcement your refer to and even more surprising there were no posts on the forum about it - until now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 35 of 40

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 40

That's interesting - never saw that before. I certainly will not give them any extra money

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 40

@imjolly wrote:
Strange i never saw or heard anything about the announcement your refer to and even more surprising there were no posts on the forum about it - until now

He was on the BBC and Talksport and in several newspapers.

It was widely discussed on the digital spy forum and I seem to remember it being mentioned here.

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 40

To be fair, I don't think we needed to be told they would start charging for champions league, to know they would.

You can't spend all that money on premium content and not directly monetise it.

Thing is, despite all the talk of BT sport being "free", BT have already raised prices to cover it.

Starting to charge for BT privacy and 1571 etc was to help cover all the costs of these rights. 

So the idea that this is "free" is simply not true. I would imagine it is pretty galling for people who just have landlines and broadband and have no interest in sport.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 40

It's even MORE galling when you are paying top dollar for a non-fibre rural broadband service that is too slow to watch the "free" sport service with, and the sport that you want to watch isn't included in the package (in my case, non-F1 motorsport) anyway.

I have to assume, based upon the way that footie saturates broadcasting, that football fans will watch practically anything from anywhere in the world as long as it involves 22 blokes chasing a ball around, and are prepared (if not necessarily happy) to pay for the privilege. Oh, yes, they'll moan bitterly about the price, but, like crack addicts and alcoholics, they soon go crawling back to the dealers.

The fact is that until footie watchers start applying basic value-for-money judgements on what they are being fed, they will continue to be milked, but the fall-out for the rest of us is that we are subsidising their habit, and the providers are cluttering the airwaves with stuff we don't want, while the rest of us get nothing we like.

Never thought I'd find myself saying this, but - thank heavens for ITV4!

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 40 of 40

Isnt WRC non-F1 motorsport 🙂

I just looked through my YouView guide and there seems to be hundreds of channels without football on..loads of similar channels that I would never watch...shopping/cooking/dating/adult....but if you really can't find anything you like in them hundred channels maybe you would be better off with just a radio 🙂

0 Ratings