cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

WTA Tennis coverage? Where is it?

What is going on with the WTA stuff? There was an event last week that had no 'proper' coverage. Instead relying on very poor commentators.

Today I tuned in for Miami Open highlights  (last year the whole thing was covered?) and the supposed whopping 15 min highlights programme wasn't even on.

If BT are going to screw me for more cash next month then at least give me one of the sports that had me sign with BT in the first place 😕

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: WTA Tennis coverage? Where is it?

Its the premier tournaments that the WTA sell as a package (21 tournaments) that BT acquired.

Other lower tier tounaments might  be covered but are subject to seperate agreements - Eurosport often cover these lower tier events on both the WTA and ATP tours.

Last weeks Collector Swedish Open - Bastad is actually a lower tier International event - if you look at the WTA site you will see which events are classified as within the premier series.

Most tennis commentators take a break after an iuntensive wimbledon fortnight - plus many would be contracted to cover the mens Davis Cup that overlapped the end of the week.

Miami Open took place at the end of March so its main coverage would have been in March?April.

GarethW
Expert
Message 3 of 6

It's on ESPN next weekend: I only know this as I can't stand tennis and it's taking up valuable MLB time, or something.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

The WTA main tour moves to North America  for a few weeks as the players switch to playing on the American hardcourts  prior to the US Open - so the matches will be in similar time zone to other NAmerica sports like MLB.  Unusually one week BT are covering two WTA tournaments - one in Washington DC and one in Stanford California so it looks like they take up two channels briefing in the early evening.

ney
Expert
Message 5 of 6

I also like to watch tennis at times. Just a shame that BT dont have some of the APT tennis. Eurosport has some APT but not enough as it seems that Sky has most of the APT tennis.

Some of the WTA coverage on BT has been good.

Would also hope that the likes of BT and Eurosport take the full rights from Sky for the US open.

Darren

Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise the Miami event had already happened. I was actually asking as my other half likes watching it. And when she watches it, I  watch it 🙂

0 Ratings