cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Website says I haven't got a phoneline

Trying to update my BT TV package.  Go to purchase online only to be told that I have got a phoneline and offering me options to purchase one.  Of course I have a phone line (I have had a BT line for 35 years!).  It is listed under my account and forms part of my bill.

Can't understand why I am triggering this check to fail.  Tried the phone line instead but that essentially said "we're not answering the phone - deal with us online".  So stuck.

Anyone else had this issue?

Anyone from BT monitoring this forum who can help?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Message 2 of 10

Re: Website says I haven't got a phoneline

Hi @rogercol, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. This looks it looks that it could possibly be an address issue. Are your bills correctly addressed? If you have online billing check your bill there. Post back and let me know.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks John for coming back so quickly.  My name and address on the bills is fine. Page 3 of the bill clearly lists Broadband and Landline above my BT TV section.  The telephone number and account number are also correct.

Your reply did prompt a thought, however.  Before about 9-10 years ago I had two phone lines coming to this address one in the name of the business I used to run from here.  At that time, I stopped the business and cancelled one of the lines.  Because it was the business line that brought in the broadband, I kept that one and got rid of the other.  In other words the line linked to the residential address was removed at that stage.

The number was swapped fine and, as I have said the line gets billed and shown appropriately on those bills.  Could it be that the check during purchasing looks in some way at a different record from billing (e.g is there a record of this guy ever signing up for a landline? answer: no (it was transferred from a business account)).

Given that I am unable to speak to anyone at BT atm how might I check/sort this?  I have had a letter telling my discount is ending on my TV package.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Have you tried the options team on 0800800030

could your line still be classed as business?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I don't know whether it's classed as "business".  Certainly I am billed for it as an individual but maybe the two systems are diverging in some way.

I don't know the Options team or that number.  What do they do?  Should I try calling them?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

That's the number I and many others use when they go to renew contract and see what deal I can negotiate to renew my contract - or upgrade 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

OK.  Thanks very much for the tip.  I'll see if I can get through to them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

If it's of any use, I too have had this problem when I moved house 5 months ago. It seems there is a glitch in the system somewhere, as it took a few months for BT's system to finally recognise I did have a phoneline.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

OK.  They're essentially not answering that phone.  Any idea how I get to live chat.  One was billed as "Our UK based" chat which was so bad BT should be ashamed of themselves.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 10

Hi @rogercol,

Thanks for posting back.

That's definitely a strange one.  You can get in touch with us and we will check this.  Please keep in mind that due to the current crisis there will be a delay in us being able to pick up your case.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings