cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bluemoon1
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

White square on Bt Sport channels.

Anyone else noticed the little white square in the top right corner on BT Sport channels, and any idea what is it there for. I only noticed it today. 

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
BT Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: White square on Bt Sport channels.

A white square is usually shown on a streamed medium - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50455/~/theres-a-white-square-in-the-corner-when-im-w...

The overlays are to help identify the orginal distribution method of the content to help tackle piracy.
BT ExpertJamesC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, on technical queries, where I can. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

@James-Cwrote:
A white square is usually shown on a streamed medium - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50455/~/theres-a-white-square-in-the-corner-when-im-w...

The overlays are to help identify the orginal distribution method of the content to help tackle piracy.

Except they are on my TV when watching the channels via my BT supplied YouView box!

They are not solid white either as they normally are on the app, but just like the ones SkyGo/NowTV have.

EF0CB642-1E75-40FC-B5BD-23B4E5B5F15B.jpeg

Bluemoon1
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

That’s exactly what I was referring to. Not the solid white box you get on the app or when casting to tv via chromecast.  So does any one have the reason for this white outline box. 

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

It’s still there this morning on BT Sport 1, 2 and 3 plus Boxnation in HD and SD.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

Looks like BT have introduced this white transparent rectangle in the top  right hand  corner region of its  and BoxNation YouView sports  channels.  I believe a white transparent circle has been used for the Sky Sports Main Event channel  in the bottom right corner for several months. 

No doubt the Bt help pages will be updated in due course.

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Just spoken to a friend with SkyQ and the box is showing on the BT Sport channels on there as well, so this is clearly being broadcast this way across all platforms. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@stereohavenwrote:

Just spoken to a friend with SkyQ and the box is showing on the BT Sport channels on there as well, so this is clearly being broadcast this way across all platforms. 

Hi @stereohaven. It appears top or bottom right (opposite to logo) on Sky but then disappears after about 20 seconds after you have tuned to the channel. Change to another BT Sports channel and it is back for 20 seconds so not being broadcast continually. 

stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

@VeteranISPUserwrote:

@stereohavenwrote:

Hi @stereohaven. It appears top or bottom right (opposite to logo) on Sky but then disappears after about 20 seconds after you have tuned to the channel. Change to another BT Sports channel and it is back for 20 seconds so not being broadcast continually. 

Unfortunately this doesn’t appear to be the case when watching via YouView. 

I fail to see how this combats illegal streaming, every stream I have ever seen is from the US, Canadian or Middle East coverage!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

My guess is it is related to the BT Sport logo. It comes back for 20 seconds after the adverts on Sky when the BT Sport logo reappears. 

0 Ratings