cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Worth buying a 4K TV?

Have a BT UHD box, but currently have a 1080P 55” TV. I have the UHD BT option, and have BT sport, and was thinking of upgrading to a 65” 4K TV. 

Is the only 4K content available the BT sport channel? I do have iTunes movies in 4K, but was wondering if it’s worth it for the BT aspect  

To be honest there’s a lot of non-HD channels on BT which is available on other services. So as above, what 4K content is there, any more coming in the near future? Is the upgrade worth it from a 55” 1080P to a 65” 4K TV  

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Worth buying a 4K TV?

The only other 4k content that I'm aware of @QoQ is the TV Series Snatch. That's from 2018 and I think that there'll be another series but when and in what format, who knows.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Guru
Message 3 of 12

There's not a lot of actual 4K content on BT TV but there's a lot on Prime, Netflix, YouTube etc. If you're TV needs replacing, get a 4K one because they're pretty cheap these days. Just make sure that you are covered on all the HDR formats with your new TV. BBC iPlayer also has some 4K content and the nature program they did last year is breathtaking. 

0 Ratings
ney
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

If your TV needs replacing then yes get a 4k smart tv but if your HD tv  is still working fine and is a smart TV no matter how old I would hold of buying a 4k TV the now.

I have had both my Samsung full HD smart tvs  over 5 and 6 years now and they may no longer support some of the latest stuff but they still work fine.

I only got my sister a new Samsung 55 inch 4k tv last year as her tv was a non smart cheap 40 inch full HD brand from Tesco and was just over 4 years ago. if it was not for that reason she would still be using her cheap full HD tv.

The only 4k content is from Netflix and Amazon but to get 4k on Netflix you have to have the 4 screens package.

Youtube I think also have some stuff in 4k.

BT Sport sometimes broadcasts 4k content on there Sports Ultra channel. Apart from that there is not a lot of 4k stuff on BT TV.

BBCi Player was testing some 4k content last year but dont know if they still are.

Darren

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for comments. 

My current TV is 55” and working fine, don’t use any of the smart TV stuff on it as I now find everything via the BT box is good enough. Netflix, Amazon built is, much better than swapping about. 

I just was thinking of getting some 4K content to see what like, the smart TV bit though there’s nothing extra I can think I’d use though as BT seems to have good apps now.  Is there anything specific that the smart TV would have over the BT box?

Its  probably not needed really, as said current TV is fine and doesn’t seem much 4K about, even though they are plugging 8K now!?!

Was just thinking the bump from 55” to 65” would be nice as well, this is the max for my room setup I could have anyway. Not sure if a bigger screen will be better. 

Id of expected a bit more from BBC considering we all pay for that as well. Surprised BT don’t do anything more than the sport as well. 

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Guru
Message 6 of 12

From experience, you have more chance of the apps being kept up to date on the BT box. Our smart tv has YouTube, which no longer works and Netflix but I find the picture quality better through the BT box.

Tbh I find the quality of most 4K stuff on Netflix and Prime to be disappointing and have seen stuff in 1080p on NowTV that has a lot brighter colours and just looks better.

The 4K best I've seen through a streaming service is on  YouTube and BBC iPlayer where the difference is massive. 

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Exactly this. My current smart TV the apps are rubbish. The prime app always stuttered yet other devices in same place were perfect. 

I agree the BT apps are good, that why I’m not so bothered on the smart TV bit, although can’t get any TV think without!

Pity on not much 4K then, I’m having second thoughts now, although not sure on the increase in size as well if would be good

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Guru
Message 8 of 12

Most upscale HD to UHD anyway so you'll still see an improvement in the picture quality. 

QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Just checked and my current TV is actually 50”, so jump to 65” would see a bigger increase than I first thought. 

Also found that you can search in Amazon prime for 4K (on iOS app not sure on BT version) and included with prime subscription, and there of actually is quite a bit if 4K stuff available, both series and movies.

Does the BT Amazon prime app support 4K? Would it automatically just show it in 4K if TV supported it?

Any suggestions on good 4K TV’s? Less than £1000 though. It’s mind boggling all the options, and manufacturers marketing rubbish that they come out with!

Thanks 

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Guru
Message 10 of 12

If you have a UHD box, it'll play UHD Prime content. As far TV's go, you want something compatible with all HDR formats. Avoid the **bleep**ty cheap brands and do your research. Start looking on Dixon's etc at what's available in your budget and then start researching and reading reviews.

We've got a Sharp 55". If I was going on their recent reputation, I'd pass on them but I've had Sharp before and they're pretty bang on. Ours was a speedy purchase so didn't have the budget I would have preferred so it was £550 but doesn't do HDR10+, Dolby Vision or HLG. Does everything else and the picture quality is mint.

Also, unlike my father in law's more expensive Samsung, the video acceleration for sharpening the image doesn't make everything look like a rubbish soap opera set. Google this as well because it makes a massive difference. 

0 Ratings