cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

6 wire extension to BT socket and linking to original wiring

Hi folks,

I want to use the pre-existing cables for the BT phone sockets in the house. Last we had things done, as I had wireless phones, I only had the install to the main socket and the wiring in the house was not connected up. I bought an extension cable and a double socket so that in theory I could use the double socket from the main BT socket, I cold then cut the extension cord, and solder the wires to the existing installation.... Only the colour systems and number of wires are different!

On the extension cable there are 6 wires Pink, Green. Brown, white yellow and grey. On the existing cabling there are 4 wires, white/blue - blue/white - orange/white - white/orange......

Does anyone know which ones should connect to which?

To make it more complicated there is another 5 cable extension which also features green!!!

Any thoughts/input would be really appreciated, thanks,

Gazzer

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: 6 wire extension to BT socket and linking to original wiring

@Gazzer1uk 

Who provides your phone and broadband connection?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Why BT of course!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Are you just trying to create more phone socket outlets so you can connect more phone or are you hoping to use sockets for broadband?

Which master do you have

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Hi Imjolly,

Its the no 7 style and just want to use the sockets believe it or not for an old dial type phone not for broadband!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

The  colour of the wires is immaterial just make sure they are connected to the correct terminals 2&5 which are visible to the left of master when faceplate is removed 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Thanks or your help here

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Never come across telephone cabling with those colour codes. Sounds more like the kind of cabling used in alarm systems, which wouldn’t do your Broadband any favours.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

All I can say is that the already installed wiring originally worked with BT and the extension cable would have worked if I had not cut it in two to link up......

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

It’s quite common to come across Alarm Cabling being used as Telephone Cabling.

Don’t know if it’s cheaper but best guess is it’s usually done by, ‘I know a guy who will do it for less’.

0 Ratings