cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

A strange request (from me) if anyone could try this please.

Go to solution

Firstly I'm not even sure what category this falls under... so mods please move as you see fit.

I've encountered an issue on a (global) forum whereby I am logged in automatically as another user. The thing is, after having  brought this to the attention of the site concerned it would appear that a small handfull of other users are also experiencing the same. One common denominator seems to be that the users are all in England and (from the ones I asked) they seem to use BT as an ISP.

I've no connection with the site concerned other than being a very infrequent visitor. I have tested the issue on another PC that has never visited the site before and also on 100% clean Windows installations and all send me to the random profile.

If any one would like to try this then the site is called 'watchuseek' and is a watch and clock forum. Ifyou go to 'Forums' then it would be interesting to know if you see a blank login box or whether you are logged in as this 'shaneyboy'.

Annotation 2019-04-12 082807.jpg

https://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

3 REPLIES 3
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: A strange request (from me) if anyone could try this please.

Go to solution

I'm getting the same as you. logged in as shaneyboy.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

It an issue with the software on that forum. Its detecting the public IP address of the visitor, and automatically assigning a default guest login for BT users.

This can also  be used to target specific advertisements to BT visitors.

Nothing to really be concerned about, as lots of sites do that.

You can simply log out of that guest account, and login with your own user name if you want to.

Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks guys, thats brilliant. I didn't understand what was going on when it was  doing this.