cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Active line

Hi, i need to find out how many broadband lines can we have in house? I share a house with 15 others and we have our own broadband connections, but a few of us have had issues where a active line is disconnected and contract terminated whenever a new person moves in and signs up for broadband. It seems like there isnt enough connections available for the house, i hope someone can offer some further info on this. Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Active line

@Miishaq79 

There is no way of finding that out, apart from plugging a phone into each line, on at a time, then dialling 17070.

That will give you the phone number of the line.

Each line may belong to a different service provider, but if you dial 150, then if they belong to BT Retail, you will get a "Welcome to BT" message.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Active line

Your living arrangements are unusual to say the least, a typical residential property has 1 working connection, occasionally a customer may require two ( one business one personal ) more that that is rare, I doubt all the people who share the property all use ‘BT’ as their provider, it’s Openreach that provide the lineplant anyway......the problem you will have , with no simple solution, is every time one of the occupants asks for a line, it’s probably assumed by whatever provider they chose, that an existing line is being taken over , so someone else’s service ceases and the new service starts in its place......it’s possible that if each applicant stressed to their provider that it’s a new line needed not a takeover , it may stop a working line being taken , but , if for example your street had a maximum of 20 connections ( 20 pairs at the DP ) and 15 of these were already in use with neighbours, then obviously if more than 5 lines needed someone isn’t going to have service.

There probably will be  a physical limit  to the property , the cable to your home may only be a 5 pair ( if underground) or a limit on how many dropwires can follow the same route from the pole to the house ( if overhead ) so even if there is capacity at the ‘DP’ , there isn’t capacity at the property.

There is a universal service obligation on Openreach, but it’s fair to say your property is already served, and no one guarantees the number of lines your property seems to need, if you need more you may have to arrange something akin to a business provide and pay more than a normal residential fee, that’s if you can get an order raised 

0 Ratings