Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kath131
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

B.T. Scam Call

Go to solution

Hi, I have recently been a victim (or nearly), of a B.T. call which was a scam. The caller who pretended to be from a B.T. call centre stating she was calling to rectify a problem I had, (unluckily for me this was true, I had just recently had a line fault and then very slow internet speed).

I was convinced that this was a genuine call and followed (like a dope), their explicit instructions so they could use Rescue Me and take over my PC. They provided names, I.D. numbers all false of course, they then said because of all the inconvenience that I would receive a refund of £250 (don't ask as if b.t. WOULD DO THAT!! I fell for it and put my debit card into my card reader to obtain a code for the refund. Ha ha, silly me, luckily my guardain angel was working overtime that night and I blocked my pin!! Yipeee the caller who insisted he was a B.T. Manager called Steven Gray, yes Stephen Gray with an Indian accent, would call me back the next day at 10am to give me time to rectify the problem with my bank. Meanwhile he had booked an engineer to call with a new router at 10am.

So after long consideration and talking to my son who went beserk and said straight away close your pc down and I will come and do a virus check tomorrow after work. We decided yes it was a scam and yes the guy did ring back, on questioning him further he lost patience and hung up 1 to me.

I rang B.T. and yes got the call centre on telling her my tale of woe and asking if she would report this or could she give me a number for me to report, she then tried selling me the nuiscance blocker facility. Game over patience stretched, I politely declined. I still have not reported this to B.T. as for one I refuse to speak to call centres who do not give a toss about the problem I had, and could have lost all the money I had in the world which is not in the hundreds may I say, but trying to get through to somebody of any particular importance is beyond me.  Who do you ring, what is the number and can they do anything about it anyway???

Whinge over, anybody with any, polite please advice is appreciated. Lesson very well learnt may I add.

Thanks for reading, hope your still awake.

Kath Robot tongue 

8 REPLIES 8
vhdsl_user
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: B.T. Scam Call

Go to solution

Kath,

You are not the only one to fall for this deceitful and despicable trick. I had a similar experience in October 2015. In my case over a period of several days I was struggling to log into the MyBT website to view my emails. I had been in contact with the various uselesss BT help facilities (phone to an overseas call centre and also the secure "chat" facility - "change your browser to Chrome !!"). Many people on this website were complaining that they could not log in. Then a phone call comes in to me saying that they are BT Help or something similar. Could they just go through a few detailed checks before tackling the problem (so I gave them my full name, BT telephone number, address, mobile number, email address) - until he said "what is your password" - the proverbial "penny dropped" and I realised that they were fraudsters and I rang off - a very close call as it could have led to a total compromise of my computer.

I am convinced that the BT Help facilities leak personal data to these fraudsters although I cannot prove it (I actually believe that the fraudsters mounted a "Distributed Denial of Service" attack on BT's servers knowing that people on this BT Community website would start chatting about the problem and that this would lead to names for them to ring). I am very angry about what happened even now one year later. I complained to BT by letter, but got a sympathetic but unhelpful reply. I was given a reference number for the attempted fraud but heard no more. I have now complained to the Office of the Information Commissioner and I am awaiting their response (they have contacted BT who are now legally obliged to respond). It took me several months to contact all important organisations that my personal details had been compromised by this incident. There is a similarity with your recent experience because the context was that you were already in contact with BT and therefore not surprised or even expecting a call from BT. So the Information Commissioner might be your next step. I also contacted the Communications Ombudsman but the terms of reference for them is really to do with maladministration (eg incorrect billing, inadequate service etc). Hope this information is of some value to you.

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @kath131,

I'm sorry to read about your experience. Sadly this type of fraudulent call is pretty common with scammers impersonating companies and service providers as a way of getting you to hand over your personal details.

If you take a look at Security warning - Fraud activities, you'll find some useful information on how to protect yourself and your details.

If you have been the victim of this type of scam you should also report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040, or online at www.actionfraud.police.uk.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Perhaps I'm a bit more cynical, but with the threat of the Indian call centres being closed down in favour of UK ones the temptation for more unscrupulous operatives to pass on customer details must be on the increase. The number of fraudulent calls following genuine faults is more than coincidence methinks.

vhdsl_user
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Kath,

See thread (on this website) "BT Scam?" - lots and lots of (recent) similar experiences

kath131
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply, I won't be caught out again!  I must agree (apols to BT in advance), but even I did suspect that it could possibly be an inside job.

At least in my case they didn't get a penny and I was on the phone for about 1.5hrs on their original call so I'm hoping it cost them to get nowt out of me! I just am lucky they didn't put a virus on my PC.

regards to all

Kath Woman Wink

kath131
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you PaddyB, seeing as I got away it this time and they didn't get anywhere, I can't see the fraud police taking any interest.

Maybe B.T. could trace these calls if they really wanted to, then again it's probably all down to expense, never mind the customers who get ripped off.

Thanks for your advise though it is appreciated.
Kath
satsuki
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
i had the similar problems sometimes
renkay
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
agree with guys. it is weird problem for me