cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

BT Cabinet

Go to solution

I recently contact BT with regards to a green cabinet on my property and to have it moved. The initial response I got was 'it's not private property, it's on the pavement' and that 'it is legally positioned'. 

The fact that they were incorrect as it is on my private land made me think it was not legally positioned. 

They advised it will cost me £60,000 to have it moved as it contains fibre.  All they said I can do is pay for a survey, and then they will confirm the cost of moving it. 

I do not know when the box was put in position, and assumed I should have received some sort of communication to advise of the installation. As I didn't it is illegal, and they have trespassed onto my property. 

Can I get them to accept responsibility and move it? 

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Cabinet

Go to solution

This a a BT Retail community forum. The cabinet has nothing to do with BT Retail and you need to contact openreach to progress your complaint

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@Foreman 

Start here https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-get-in-touch-with-openreach

There are a number of contact options, and its also possible there may be a historic wayleave agreement.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/obtaining-wayleaves

This bit may apply "

Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

thanks, that's helpful. I'll contact them. 

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I’m guessing this equipment has been there a while, after all if someone started constructing a base for it, presumably you would have intercepted them and asked what they were doing, so this suggests that the cab has been there a while, ( and presumably you have recently acquired the property) so it could be the previous owner consented to the position of the cab, or what you consider to be your private property actually isn’t yours...,perhaps you could post a picture of it

If you have had an estimate for it’s repositioning, then presumably OR have already visited and confirmed it’s their kit and in their opinion ‘legally’ positioned.
As already stated , this is a BT Consumer forum, and as such , whatever the legalities, it’s not a BT Consumer issue , and you already appear to have opened a dialogue with the company that is involved.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Land has been owned for 25years and position of box is clearly within property boundary ( which I have also checked with Land Registry) . The site has not been visited for a while so I do not know when it was put there. 

As stated I just rang them to ask them to move it, and they said it is on the pavement which it is not. They just gave an estimated figure to move it.  There has not been a site visit. 

They said I would have to pay even if it was on private property. 

The previous comment confirms they should have obtained a wayleave, which they have not . 

Openreach do not have a forum so I asked here, and the previous comment gave me a lead so I can now follow it up with them. 

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Perhaps you could provide a photo.
I know of one example , property built around 1994, part of around 40 detached property’s, this particular one was one of around five at the head of a cul-de-sac , on first impressions the front gardens extended to the roadside curb ( no footpath ) , a ‘BT’ joint box was according to the householder in his front garden and he wanted it removing , but it wasn’t in his garden , the developers design was instead of a footpath was to have a service strip that extended 1 metre from the roadside curb towards the property’s , in which were placed utility’s , so although this box lid appeared to be in this persons front garden it wasn’t, even if this person had been maintaining this grassed area as part of his garden and assumed it was part of the plot...needless to say the joint box is still there , as the cost to re locate it into the carriageway, at his expense,  was ‘prohibitive’