Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Master Socket Query

Go to solution

I have recently bought a property, built in the early 90's and hasn't been refurbished since.

I have ordered broadband which goes live on 24/01, the standard sending the router / filter in the post set up, no engineer is attending.

My concern is that I cant establish the/a master socket to plug the filter into and base the router.

I have identified the entry point for the main BT line which leads into the attic and into a brown box (see photograph 1), from here all the extensions go around the house.  

I presume the ADSL filter wont work in these extensions?  If not, how will I go about plugging the router in?  Is it a simple fix for an engineer to change this brown box input into a master socket, if so is it possible he can change any of the current extension sockets into a master? 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Master Socket Query

Go to solution

Apologies, struggling to upload a photograph as the file size is too big!

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@Jensen1 

Who have you placed your order for phone and broadband with?

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Through the Post Office.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

you need to get in touch with your ISP the post office as this forum is for customers of BT Retail and nothing to do with openreach

all I would say is from your description you have star wiring and cause you problems with your broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Jensen1 wrote:

Through the Post Office.

This has nothing to do with this BT Retail Customer Forum.

The external network, cable termination, and master socket are the property of Openreach who are a separate company.

My advice to you would be to contact the Post Office, and tell them that the wiring is old, and there is no proper master socket. That should be done free of charge, as part of the installation.

They will need to ask Openreach to run a new direct cable from the pole, and fit a new master socket at whichever location you choose, as your current described arrangement is not going to work very well for broadband. You are likely to get a low speed and disconnections.

Its possible that the Post Office may have a user forum similar to this one, where you can get help from other Post Office customers.

Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Apologies, not here to offend anybody.

Star wiring, a new term to me but does make sense - what would be the solution please? 

I have established that one of the extension sockets has a capacitor and extra circuitry which none of the rest have, could this be a "master socket"?

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Apologies again, thank you for your advice.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution