cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yurkins
Message 1 of 8

BT (Openreach) trainee engineer Driving experience requirement

Hi all!
I passed my driving test in December. My driving experience is about 3 months. Is there a minimum driving experience required to become a BT trainee engineer? I couldn’t find any info about it.
Thanks in advance ^__^
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT (Openreach) trainee engineer Driving experience requirement

Here’s a bit of advice.

If you go in to that interview saying ‘BT Engineer’ ‘BT Openreach Engineer’ or just anything ‘BT’ I can guarantee that you’ve just talked yourself out of ever getting the job.
Yurkins
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the advice!
I understood I should not mention BT. But can I ask why? What’s wrong with this?
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Although Openreach are part of the BT Group of companies they are a stand alone company in their own right.

Have a look at this link

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/about-us/who-we-are

Message 5 of 8

Because for the past 10+ years CP’s and EU’s have been moaning like **bleep** for Openreach to be a more independent Company.

Openreach have put a lot of money, effort and resources into making this happen so to go in to the Interview, Assessment, etc saying ‘BT Openreach’ is your way of saying, I’ve not done my homework and don’t truely know who or what Openreach are.

I was speaking to a Contractor a few months back who went for the job. He didn’t get it because when asked who Openreaches Customers are he said Residential and Businesses. It’s not, it’s the Phone/Broadband Providers like Sky, BT, TALKTALK and that answer alone meant he didn’t get the job. That’s how fussy they are.

Been doing this for over 15 years and one of the many things I learnt is experience doesn’t count for anything in the Company. You could have 20 years experience working in Copper/Fibre Networks but if you don’t say what they want to hear they’d happily give to the job to someone who did say what they wanted to hear regardless of them never picking up a screw driver.
Yurkins
Message 6 of 8

Wow! Starwire, Thanks very much for your time explaining that! Very helpful!
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Also this forum is for BT Retail/consumer and not Openreach
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@Yurkins

You may find more help on this forum http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/job.html