Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyKyle
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT Vision or SKY ?

Go to solution

I left Sky a number of years ago and came over to BT, I am due to have my box given the update ( or at least my messages keep telling me). I am thinking of returning to Sky for a number of reasons

1. I want to enjoy HD

2. I want a greater choice of programmes

3. I want all the sports packages

4. I dont want a repeat of the months of problems when I first joined BT and got my black box.

This forum is great to read albeit I am easily lost in all the techno speak !! Any advice for me ? ( please not comments such as "dont rejoin the dark side". )

Sport is very important so the claims and counter claims about what BT is going to be showing in the future dosnt help , neither does the You View debacle !

I am free to leave at anytime should I stay or should I go ?

13 REPLIES 13
AndyKyle
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

BT or SKY ?

Go to solution

I left Sky a number of years ago and came over to BT, I am due to have my box given the update ( or at least my messages keep telling me). I am thinking of returning to Sky for a number of reasons

1. I want to enjoy HD

4. I dont want a repeat of the months of problems when I first joined BT and got my black box.

This forum is great to read albeit I am easily lost in all the techno speak !! Any advice for me ? ( please not comments such as "dont rejoin the dark side". )

Sport is very important so the claims and counter claims about what BT is going to be showing in the future dosnt help , neither does the You View debacle !

AndyKyle
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

BT OR sky ?

Go to solution

1. I want to enjoy HD

AndyKyle
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Re: BT or SKY ?

Go to solution

Eventually posted this on the BT general forum and not the lounge, sorry for the confusion !

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

The lounge is the place for general discussion, unless you have a service affecting fault.

I am sure you will get plenty of opinions about which is best.

Some of the topics discussed  on the vision board have got quite heated, and there have been a number of complaints, as the Vision board is there to help people who are having problems with their BT Vision service.

BT Vision

This is the place to post any BT Vision queries about Freeview, On Demand, recording, setup and programmes.

Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

BT Vision is really the cheap option when compared with Sky or Virgin, so don't expect to get as much.

The whole system is in a state of transition at the moment.  The new software is still buggy and the new services are running late.  It should all be sorted out in the end - if you're prepared to wait.

Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Agreed. BTV is going places, its just not got there yet. 

I think you can have the Sky sports as add ons though.

Many of the on demand films are in HD, but by no means as much as t'other one.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

andy_247
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

Re: BT Vision or SKY ?

Go to solution
I agree, that if you can you should hold on for a few months before committing to one or the other. While the sky package is fairly stable, the whole BT proposition could change considerably over the coming few months.
You'd be gutted if you signed up to Sky based on their sports, only to find next summer that you had issues getting the two or three sports channels that BT is launching.
I'm not saying that will happen, but that's the thing, we don't know - maybe BT will even get access to the full suite of sports channels like Talk Talk do. Who knows!
I think if you hold fire till spring you'll have more information to be able to make an informed decision of which service is more suited to you. Making a decision now would have to be done on guesswork to a certain extent.
jlh478
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Do what I did: get essentially free sky TV and broadband for a year...

Then, after a year, if BT have a better proposition, you go back to BT and claim a load more cashback for doing that.

I am going to change my service every year now.  When my sky year is up  I will see what talktalk are offering.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Looking for a better deal elsewhere when you can leave for free is an attractive proposition. The problem I have with it is that you simply can't rely on any or all of the providers (not only in telecoms) to get things right, and we all know how far up the creek they can take you when things go wrong! Until providers get their collective act together (which might just happen in my lifetime) I'm taking the easy option of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Yes I know that providers like customer inertia, but the fact is that I'm happy with the service I'm getting right now. I might well get similar service for a bit less cash elsewhere, but I regard the extra as a small premium for insurance against hassle.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.