cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 19

Re: BT Wholesale Speed Test -- PECULIAR RESULTS -- slow broadband.

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe: OP's TBB speedtest says PN.

Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe: OP's TBB speedtest says PN.

Then this is not a BT Broadband Service Affecting topic.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

@slpj: Good! Much smoother speedtest 🙂 .

Re: Router Stats: We're looking for a page with Speeds, Attenuations & Noise (or SNR) Margins. Maybe http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#43 .

I understand BT Speedtester has been playing up lately & is under reporting.

Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

Hi Keith Beddoe,

No not a BT broadband customer, but I have a BT landline. And whenever there is a hard fault or a problem at the exchange, Plusnet get an open reach engineer out to fix it.  ISP have replied to me and said they haven't done anything, and don't know why my speeds are varying and why they have improved.

Hi xrayspex, thanks for the link to where I can find my router stats. Here they are, I have to be honest and say I don't understand much of them. Are they good bad or average?

Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 9:41:41
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 826 / 9,536
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 193.12 / 1.99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.2 / 20.3
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.6 / 41.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.2 / 6.3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 166 / 2
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 682,503 / 1,516,344
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 333 / 77
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 311 / 1,038

Thanks again.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

Your BB connection is fine, other than your Up speed is a bit on the slow side & there could be a lotta FEC errors requiring retransmissions.

The TBB speedtest is entirely consistent with your connection speeds; the BTw speedtester isn't! Make of that what you will.

Only consider your speeds to be variable when the Bandwidth reported by your router varies wildly.

We could leave it at that as answering your OP. Otherwise, in an attempt to look into those FEC errors ...

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post your full Router Stats when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Your BB connection is fine, other than your Up speed is a bit on the slow side & there could be a lotta FEC errors requiring retransmissions.

FEC (Forward Error Correction) errors are corrected errors at the receive end, and do not initiate a re-transmission, but they are a useful indication of transmission performance. You would only see those if the latency is interleaved.

CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) errors are uncorrected errors and cause the received data to be discarded, and re-transmission requested. This will reduce the throughput.

For the interval displayed, the CRC errors are not excessive.

slpj
Beginner
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Hi both,

Thanks for the additional interpretation of my router stats.

All the charts and the router stats were taken with the router plugged into the BT test socket. Plusnet told me to do this when I first reported my problems to them. It didn't make any difference to how quickly or slowly I could access the internet or download my emails. It was still no different to me using wireless. I seem to get the same speeds on ethernet connection as I do when I connect with wireless.

I'll try them again with my corded and cordless phone removed. I'll also do the quiet test you mention.

But it seems to me, that since I am now loading internet sites such as google news, facebook, and others pretty quickly, and that it is no longer taking ages to download my emails, something must have changed. Plusnet say they didn't do anything. I am back to using wireless, and STILL have good speeds. So something must have changed somewhere, but nobody knows what.

I wish I'd known about all these other tests you've introduced me to when I first began having trouble. Maybe it would have revealed something that would explain the reason to someone who undersrtands how to read the results.

If -- hopefullu not -- I start having trouble again, I'll do all these tests and ask you for your advice if I may.

Meanwhile, thank you very much. :).

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & that you are now getting good speeds.

Message 19 of 19

Go to solution
🙂