cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

BT duct cover?

Go to solution

Morning All,

I noticed over the weekend that a duct cover between mine and my neighbours house which has started to break and part of it appears to have collapsed. At first glance i though it was either a Severn Trent water one or a BT one. 

I've reported it to Severn Trent who came out yesterday and had a look and stated it's not one of theres, so can anyone confirm from this pic if it is a BT one or not - https://ibb.co/vBjmBJN

Thanks,

Darren

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT duct cover?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution
Thanks Keith.

Nice and quick to report, OR should take a look in next 48 hours.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Excellent 😀

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

I don’t think that is a BT/OR cover at all, I have several like that around my property , they are water/sewage inspection hole covers …

CW in reference to Openreach, is Carriageway, so the covers will only be found in the road, or where is the possibility of heavy goods vehicles passing over them..and that image of a CW No1, will be around 1 sq metre ,( not the round one )  I suspect the image the OP has posted will probably be no more than around 20-25cm square, and would have no benefit to OR , after all what could be housed in it than may need access to it ?, it’s not likely to be a joint box cover ( as the name suggests used to contain cable joints ) , perhaps  the OP can post another image with another item for reference, to confirm the size of the cover 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
Already had Severn Trent look at it yesterday and they claim it's not for water / sewage.

Just measured the cover and it is 32cm x 32cm in size.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

In the images of the BT/OR joint box covers it’s possible to see the metal  ‘keyholes’ that the ( mechanical) box lifting apparatus fits into , to lift the lid , the image you posted has no such ‘key holes ‘ and as far as I know , a jointbox as small as that shown , would be of no possible use in housing something that OR may need access to, the smallest joint box I’m aware of is a joint box 23,( JB23) which is  probably 2 to 2.5 times the size.
I’m not suggesting you lift the lid, but suspect if you did there would be a vertical ‘pipe’ that gave access to larger water or sewage pipes , especially if it’s on your property or between you and a neighbour, most OR joint boxes are in the public footpath or highway , where access is available all the time , and not on private land….

TBH , the ones on my property are in a similar state, and not really in danger of collapse or anything, and are definitely the water authority, as some were incorporated into a block paved area and ‘replaced’ with integrated covers that the blocks fitted into.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
ah fair enough.

Only other option that i can think of, if OR says it's not theres is for me to ask my local council. That will be a slow process, they are as much use as a chocolate teapot unless they are wanting money from me.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Again , not really suggesting you need to do this , but if someone flushes a toilet whilst someone else has an ear close to the cover, you may even hear the sound of the water passing by….it’s an unpleasant thought , but if drains get blocked, it’s where the ‘Dyno Rods’ of this world insert their unblocking rods , or water jets , to dislodge the offending items, I cannot understand why the water company disowned them , unless it’s some other utility, but I can’t think of an alternative 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I know this has been marked as solved, but in case it’s not Openreach, you may find it’s an access point for one of the old cable TV / wired relay networks (such as rediffusion/transdiffusion and other varieties).

0 Ratings