cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

BT engineer came to fix my phone line but disconnected my Alarm and left!

Go to solution

During fixing my dead phone line (the junction box had been hit by a tree) the BT open reach engineer (organised by Utility Warehouse) isolated  and disconnected my alarm system which was wired in to the main BT phone socket in the house.  He did this while running various tests on the line, to establish what the problem was and where the fault was and he did not reconnect it.

This is the main line to the house and is used in the event of a burglary.

The following day (well after he left) my alarm company called me to say they no longer had communication with my house. The security company are not allowed to open a BT box, therefore I need the Open Reach engineer to return. I called Utility Warehouse and they were very quick to say it wasn't their problem, despite the line being BT, and them organising for the engineer to come out and disconnect it! I need him to reinstate to as it was before he came. This is crucial as my alarm and insurance are not valid while this is disconnected. Utility warehouse don't want to take responsibility and as I am a customer of UW, not directly BT i don't know what to do.can anyone help? 

The Alarm company said this removing the wires is a common problem for them. They also said they are reading 4.9v on the phone line but for a normal line it should read 50v. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT engineer came to fix my phone line but disconnected my Alarm and left!

Go to solution

This is a BT retail forum and has nothing to do with Openreach.

You need to get back in touch with the company that arranged the repair with Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi, they have told me to contact BT?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Who do you rent the line from? 

It is that company that you need to contact.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Utility warehouse, they called me straight away saying this was not their problem, despite them arranging for the engineer and him causing the problem. i will trying , no doubt to no avail, to contact them again though sure. what a needless mess. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

If you are not a BT customer why would you expect them to fix a fault. It has nothing to do with BT. If you rent the line from Utility Warehouse it is their responsibility to arrange any repair to faults on the line that they provide.

They organised Openreach to carry out the repair on their behalf so it is their problem to ensure that the repair has been carried out correctly.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Who put the wires into the mastersocket at the start?

Your case is with your provider.... openreach own the lines but they can't and won't take any complaint or order from us paying customers. You need to raise with your service provider who has a policy in place to contact openreach and raise a complaint on your behalf as your provider pays openreach you or only a 3rd party to them your a 1st party with your service provider. 

Raise as a complaint with your service provider and if required bring the case to the ombudsman service after you get a deadlock/final response and not before and they won't help

Another thing to note that opening the mastersocket and adding/removing wires goes against the warranty as they advise its been tampered with. 

BT Fibre to the premise's customer.
Best Regards
Kev
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you so much for your advice. I have raised a complaint with UW (my provider) and will try the ombudsman route also. I’m so annoyed as can feel this will take months and will be a time drain... I have three kids and homeschool etc etc🥲

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Please accept my solution. And give me the thumbs up I'm new to this.

The ombudsman service will take around 6-9 months before they give you a decision. Your provider has 8 weeks to give you a response as well. 

You speak to customer care then raise to manager then to the chief executive office who issue the final response if they don't give you one by 8 weeks send the case on it will go in your favour. 

Who installed the wires though was it openreach? Make sure you say to your provider you want to make a formal complaint to openreach about poor workmanship and damage to your permises due to what you believe he done wrong

BT Fibre to the premise's customer.
Best Regards
Kev
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
You have been so helpful thank you. I have you a thumbs up and I think I have accepted the solution? Can toy send me another message if not and I will accept that?
0 Ratings