cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prius_Taxi
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT have finally lost it!!

I am about to throw in the towel, I have been a loyal customer for 15 years even paying a premium for poor connection speeds compared with other ISP's.

I'm connected to an old Street Cabinet still only getting 4mb, even though a new Fibre Cabinet stands beside it and has done for 3 years.  It's just not been activated and no-one seems the slightest bit bothered as to why, it's all down to BTOpenreach. Who are the holy grail it seems, we couldn't possibly contacted them for an update.

Then putting the whole fibre thing to the back of my mind, I signed up to a new 12 month contract TV/Phone/BB in March with FREE BT Sport.  Now if I keep the Free BT sport I was offered it will cost me a total of 20% more from september. Due to a yearly price increase and BT Sport now charging £5 a month which appharently should be £19.

What is the point in a one sided contract if I agree to something for 12months at a given price I expect to pay that price for 12mths and get what I was offered for free even if I can't get it on my vision box because I'm NOT on a fibre enabled line.

I just wonder how much more underhanded BT can get especially as they will no doubt start a new advertising campaign to entice new customers once the football season starts.

8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT have finally lost it!!

Don't forget that if BT increases the price, that gives you the opportunity to cancel the contract without penalty.

If nothing else, that gives you the opportunity to phone up BT and tell them that if they don't give you a better deal, you will leave.  It worked for me last year - the price rise magically disappeared as I got a bigger discount than I was already getting.

Jackiow
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

I totally agree with you. They are increasing prices , changing Contracts as well by default. I too thought I had a fixed deal for 18 months, only to find out that the price will increase and my only option was to accept it or phone BT and re negotiate. Also they subscribed me to BT Sport , again by default, and won't now give me a refund after I complained and cancelled it. I feel sure that theis default practice is illegal but the BT Agents say not. Should we all get together and see if we can check out the Legal side ? Start a petition or something. Just moaning about it on the Forum is not going to get us far.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Your options were not limited to accepting it or negotiate with BT. You could hae left the contract and taken out a new contract with a different ISP. ( Who no doubt also increases prices mid contract)

I think you will find that what BT is doing is perfectly legal as long as you are able to leave the contract without penalty. Have a look through this legislation and do a search for contract changes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284426/oft311.pdf

Highlighted
Seraph
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Agree with gg.....

Can I add that OFCOM recommends that if/when a letter is sent out; let's say when BT (or any ISP) offers new services or raise prices that it is "headlined" on the envelope to bring it to your attention.

BT already do this for some of their activity: eg:

On the front of the envelope

BT Mobile is here

Get 4G and unlimited internet access.....

Find out more inside or visit bt.com/mobile

Unsurprisingly BT don't do this for letters re price rises.

I've just left BT cos of price rises (BT Sport bundled free in my package - didn't need or want it, or watched it - and then £5 a month).

Final bill almost £200 for cancelling and I turned this round to a credit of £30!

No negotiation from BT, which is a shame.  I would have accepted the removal of BT Sport from my package and accepted the £1 a month price increase for the line. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@Seraph wrote:

I've just left BT cos of price rises (BT Sport bundled free in my package - didn't need or want it, or watched it - and then £5 a month).

Final bill almost £200 for cancelling and I turned this round to a credit of £30!

No negotiation from BT, which is a shame.  I would have accepted the removal of BT Sport from my package and accepted the £1 a month price increase for the line. 

I don't understand how you could not just cancel the BT Sport part. I and many others on the forum did this very easily by contacting the Options Team 0800.800.030 and telling them to cancel it. It was done there and then without any problem. It did not involve taking out a new contract or any other "catch".

starship
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Ectophile. I notice your reply below.

Don't forget that if BT increases the price, that gives you the opportunity to cancel the contract without penalty.

Would you know if this is wrote any where as i wish to go through this process after a £48 increase from first taking out my contract 8 mths ago. I was hoping to view this so i can repeat it to BT.

Thanks..

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

when BT are about to increase prices you get notified of the pending increases and you then have 30 days to exercise the option to cancel that service without penalty

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

It is in the email you should have received when the price increases were announced

"We want to make sure you get the best deal for you. So, if you want to change something, or even leave because of these price changes, and you're within your minimum contract period, you'll need to call us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days) if you're switching provider), starting from the date you ask us. We won't charge you the increased price during that time."