cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Broadband, Reduced Downstream Handback Threshold (Mbps)

Hi everyone,

In a bit of a situation at the moment!

I'm looking to get BT fibre instead of TalkTalk, however the quoted speeds on BT are slower than I am receiving at the moment.

I have been recently monitoring the ASDL BT Checker, and noticed that my Downstream Handback Threshold (Mbps) has been reducing over the last month or so.

My next door neighbour who lives further up the stree (further from the exchange) t gets 35 MB/S downstream (which I used to get previously), whereas I now only get 29. I used to get 35 so I am unsure what is happening!

My contract is up in two days and I am not sure how to go about any of this.

Would a new line sort this? Would BT do this upon new contract?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband, Reduced Downstream Handback Threshold (Mbps)

@KyleDalt 

You would still be using the same line and the same Openreach fibre cabinet. Connection speed will drop as more people get connected to the cabinet.

Its Openreach that provide the external network for most providers.

If you want more help, then once you are a BT Retail customer, then please post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe it just seems a bit unfair to me how everyone else on my street (even further from the exchange) gets the speeds I used to get , but now I no longer get these speeds.

I don’t understand how I’m in the middle of the street yet get the slowest speed?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@KyleDalt 

I would not rely too much on the speed checker, as its only an average figure, as each line is different, you may also have issues with the way things are connected up.

Once you move to BT Retail, then you will be able to provide more information by posting your connection information from the BT Smart Hub 2. You will then be able to get advice from this forum. Also the checker will show your actual connection speed when you have been connected, and the date that it was checked.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe 
Thanks for the responses mate I appreciate it!

I’m just a bit concerned that they are quite happy to have be at 24mb/s as that is there guarantee , and I worry that if it’s above this they won’t believe it to be a problem 

thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

You will be given a minimum guaranteed connection speed which would be within range A, as shown on the checker.

I would not be concerned about the handback threshold, as that would only be reached if there is a major fault on the line which needs repairing.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@KyleDalt 

distance form the exchange is immaterial with FTTC it is distance to the street cabinet that is important as well as line quality

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings