cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Broadband Speed Ratings

Hey All,

I’m going to be moving to Liverpool and was checking out the available speeds for broadband for the area I’m looking to move to.

It says that BT’s Fibre 1 speeds are 31-36Mb. I was wondering, are these speeds Megabytes/sec or Megabits/sec? 

I figure I need at least 150 Mbps or 18 MB/s. If BT’s figures are in Megabytes that would brilliant.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband Speed Ratings

No, all ISP internet speeds are Megabits per second (Mbps}.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

If you need at least 150mbps then I strongly recommend you move to somewhere that has FTTP.

You might get 150meg if G.Fast is available but that’s still over a Metallic Path and isn’t as reliable as pure fibre to the house.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I was doing a bit more research on this. To get full fibre from BT it seems like a different service from the Fibre 1 that comes up when you search your postcode. Is that true? Once I move can I call them to get Full Fibre which offers 100+Mbps or is it truly that whatever is listed on the website after searching your postcode is all that’s offered?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Fibre that comes all the way into your home (FTTP) is being rolled out but if the checker says its not available then its not available and you would then be in the lap of the gods waiting for Openreach or another provider to pick your area to invest in physically running the cables.

The checker will probably say fibre on demand is available, but dont be fooled as this is basically saying you can pay for Openreach to run one cable to your house on special order if you pay all the costs in digging up the road to run that single cable

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

FTTPoD will show for anyone who has, or has FTTC available to them as Openreach will assume they’re within workable distance of an FTTP Aggregation Node. 

Would still cost into the thousands though because of the work involved and those who do pay aren’t getting their own Private Ethernet Circuit, which can have speeds of up to 10gbps.

It’s still only WBC FTTP at the end of the day and will be on a 32 Way Splitter so you’ll be restricted to the current Speeds WBC FTTP Offer.

0 Ratings